Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Thread Like Summary
carbking, Clement, Ed_Osier, Haggis, JoelWeeks, jtroberts64, RMeSGT
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by RMeSGT
RMeSGT
My dad collected cars and automobilia since he was a kid. Since he was born in 1927, that amounted to a lot of cars and "stuff". One of my favorites was a 1940 Master Deluxe 2 door sedan he bought in 1975 and sold sometime while I was in the Army (1987 - 1994).

Here's her story. A salesman with Malcolm Brothers Chevrolet (Belle Plaine, Iowa) decided the purchase a black 1940 Chevy Master Deluxe 2 door sedan from the sales floor because he was sure that the impending war would limit automobile production soon. He put the car away in a concrete garage and did required maintenance on the rare occasion that he drove the car. Although availablility of cars did become somewhat limited, the lack of income did hurt his plan of quick returns. So, he held on to it until 1975 when he sold it to my dad. Still all original except for some paint repair in ~1977 from a small underhood wiring fire and later in around 1980 dad had someone repaint all four fenders. The fender repaint was a terrible job and dad always regretted doing it. Today, the paint on the fenders is absolutely the worst part of the car.

My dad was a member of a local antique auto club here in Iowa and I spent nearly every late Spring, Summer, and early Fall in the back seat of that car. We would participate in almost every parade, car show, and club cruise. I loved that car. The smell, the sounds, and the ride. There was nothing else like it.

Sometime during my time in the military, dad sold the car to buy something different. I never thought that would happen....but it did. In 2001 when my dad died, I had lost track of the car and began looking for it. For almost 10 years, nothing. No trace. Then, one afternoon in 2012, I was driving in an unfamiliar part of my town of ~25,000 people and turned around in a driveway. The garage door was open, and there it was! I tried to buy it on the spot, no dice. I kept trying over the years with no luck. Then in 2019, I read the obituary of the old gentleman who I was trying to buy her from. He was unfortunately a victim of Covid. After almost 3 years of legal issues with the estate, I was able to make a deal with the family and I brought her back into my family this past July.

As soon as I got her home I started changing fluids, checking bolts, and letting her run for small periods of time as I made sure she was safe to drive. I was pleased to find out that all fuel had been drained, brakes had been completely serviced, and she was stored with no weight on the suspension in a climate controlled setting by two different owners spanning almost 30 years. The bad? Not much really other than a dent put in the driver's rear quarter and fender by another car in the owner's garage and some other issues I'd say would be expected for a car her age.

My plan? Fix what needs fixed to be safe and roadworthy - I don't want to hurt her, and I don't want her to hurt me. I want to drive it like it was supposed to be driven and just enjoy her.

I was pleased to find a group of guys that seem to have the same feelings toward these cars as I do. I look forward to being able to lean on you guys for information and support, and I hope to be able to do the same for you all!
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
And the spare tire is the original Goodrich tire.
2 members like this
by dens41
dens41
Welcome, that looks like a nice 40 to enjoy the way it is just getting the maintenance up to date.
We would welcome you to our local region, most meeting are in the Cedar Rapids area.
1 member likes this
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
This is a great story. Very glad you got it back and are putting it back on the road. Keep letting us know of your progress.

Dave
1 member likes this
by Keith Knox
Keith Knox
Welcome to VCCA. I am originally from Iowa. Graduated from Union Whitten High School in 1959. 7 years in the Navy. Been her in Napa since 1968. Good looking 40. My folks had a 40 4 door in the late 40's.
1 member likes this
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
In my opinion painting just the valve cover makes the rest of the engine look worse. Unless the VC is completely bare or rudted I would leave original
Do not use strong detergents to clean onde the hood. Can destroy old paint.
If you can find some Arcrylic black Dupont paint it will look as original as you can get.
The correct black cloth covered lacqured plug wires with angle terminals are available,
1 member likes this
by RMeSGT
RMeSGT
I actually have a photo I took back in around 1978 of the only time that tire was used. It was on the passenger rear when we had a blowout! It was only on for a few miles to get to a station in our hometown of Marshalltown, Iowa.

Given the fact that almost all the 70,xxx miles on the car were put on by my dad, I know most of the details to many of the "warts" this car has. For example, I know why there is a red stain on the rear carpet, seat, and side upholstery on the driver's side (not able to be seen with the seat in place). Strawberry Crush ~45 years ago. Pre-10 year-old me was never allowed to have a drink with color on a trip again? I had totally forgotten about that until 2 weeks ago when I removed the rear seat while cleaning/inspecting!

I have found my dad's tools in various places in/under the car over the past couple months. I can identify them because my brother raced dirt late models in the 70's/80's around Iowa, dad marked his tools in a specific way with colored electrical tape so he could quickly identify them at the track so as to not lose them. I have also left his strategically placed wooden clothes pins on the fuel line.
1 member likes this
by RMeSGT
RMeSGT
Jon and Gene - I don't disagree with either of you. I highly doubt that there is any data that would support that the clothespins do anything at all.

That being said, I will leave them there for as long as I have the car just out of sentimental reasons and because it does cause conversation and questions. That gives me a chance to tell the story - and I think right now people need a story with a positive ending.
1 member likes this
by Haggis
Haggis
When I read this I could not believe it ! My grandfather was Walt Malcolm and he and his brother had Malcolm Bros Chevrolet in Belle Plaine. They owned the dealership until 1959. I had always wanted a car that they would have sold and I found a 1940 Chevrolet in Moline Il. It was amazing when I read your article ! A great story.
I always wished a had asked more questions of my grandfather. he died in 1976.

I still have the 1940 and enjoy driving it every summer ! We will need to meet up someday and compare our cars.
1 member likes this
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 73 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.