Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
So...That is the smoke detector going off?...for years at our house I thought that sound meant that dinner was about done! are you sure that it isn't the dinner bell?....Oh well never mind......Have we strayed a tad off course?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Apparently we have strayed and have been shown the light :tired:

ken48
VCCA 42589

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
The club BOARD's page has been updated to refect the results of the 2006 elections. http://vcca.org/board.htm

Congratulations to everyone who was elected, or re-elected, and many, many thanks to the other candidates who displayed pride and dedication in running for office. My hat's off to you all.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thanks for the update Billy Boy. I'm sure that many wondered how the elections turned out.

:cool2: :) laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Our club is like democracy...
Actually we are somewhat like a Representative Democracy which is what we practice in our national and state governments. We are much too numerous to have a ”˜true’ democracy (where everyone votes on each and every issue) this works only in small groups like your local club or family.

However one of the main tenants of a Representative Democracy is that all citizens (members) have a right to vote for the Representatives that make all of the decisions for all of us; at this time this is not true of our club.

This is the most important and basic requirement of any Representative Democracy and IMHO this issue should be the first priority of the new BOD.

IMHO, there should be several ways for overseas members to vote: for ones with the WWW they could vote by computer (wish all of us could) and ones w/o www could vote by using a proxy (same as you do for major corporation voting when you can't attend).

If we aren’t able to do the computer voting for whatever reason then IMHO we should install a proxy voting system or some other way for everyone to be able to vote until computer voting becomes a reality.

I would think that they are ways here on Chatter right now for the proxy holder and the proxy giver to talk with each other in private.

There are even companies that will set anyone up with a proxy voting system.

Example:

proxy company

People can change or cancel their proxy holder quick and easy also so changing your mind about who to vote for is not a problem.

With all of the intelligence and abilities on the BOD I think the VCCA could figure out how to do proxy voting w/o any help, IMHO.

If would seem to me that overseas members could be mailed inside their G&D the paper proxy form months and months before any election or even years before.

Maybe being able to vote without any problems has make some of us forget how important it is to be able to vote. I can only imagine how some of us here in North America would react to not being able to vote for the decision makers…wait a minute a do know how we would react because it caused us to revolt back in 1776 didn't it...

Just food for thought.

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Here's something from Chipper on Oct 31, 2005 in a "similar" thread. I think that thread was entitled "Voting for Board Members."

..... only 8-10% of members vote .....

If that's the case, and I have NO reason to dispute the figure, it seems all these posts are waste of time. Even more so the long winded ones. The members are gonna vote; or they're not. Looks like most don't.

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
The members are gonna vote; or they're not.

of course this is not true for the overseas members, is it.

The solution to "wasting" your time is to just stop reading...

Sort of funny the people who CAN vote have a different opinion then the ones that CAN NOT vote.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
IMHO......every VCCA member in good standing should have the right to vote regardless of where they live. If just one member is denied the right to vote, it's time to ask why....and DEMAND an answer.

If some members CHOOSE not to vote, that too is their right.
But if just one member is DENIED the right to vote for what ever reason....that is wrong. Everyone who pays his VCCA dues has equal rights.

I agree 42Bill, "The members are gonna vote; or they're not.", but the point is each member MUST be given the opportunity to vote. Apparently that is not happening and a change MUST be made.

Wow, let me get off the soap box.

Have a nice evening.

(Mr. Moderator.....sorry if I got a little too political there)

Last edited by ken48; 01/06/07 08:56 PM.

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
IMHO our overseas members are the most loyal members we have; they pay the same dues as the rest of us and:

1. They can't vote for their club officials,
2. They get their G&D months after the rest of us which makes the ads useless or almost useless for them,
3. Most are too far away to participate in the meets and tours and if they do it costs a lot more,
4. They don't have local junkyards to search or local parts like we do,
5. They have few if any other Chevy owners close by to talk with,
6. Most if not all don't have enough local members to form a chapter,
7. When they need a part they have to pay a lot more for shipping and returns must be a nightmare.
8. And they have to deal with the time zone issue even to use Chatter.

As a club we can't do anything about numbers 3 thru 8, we might be able with computers technology to help with number 2 but without a doubt we can do something about number 1 if we as a group care enough to do something.

Just MHO as to why I feel the overseas members must love Chevys a whole lot more than maybe some of us here.

I feel sometimes that I don't get as much from the club as others because I have numbers 3 and 6 to deal with; so I don't know how I would feel if I had to deal with all 8...

IMHO

Last edited by Louis C.; 01/07/07 08:13 PM.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Louis, Don't get to feeling too sorry for yourself, it isn't healthy, it could lead to depression! just jerking your chain....
as to having a problem with the time zone that is the thing about Chatter, you can post and leave then return and read the replys, without having to watch the clock to see when someone will be around as with a real time chat, which we are now blessed to have both of. This place is the best communications device I have ever used to keep abreast of the old Chevy fans. I have been able to get to know and appreciate the work of the International Chevy fans better and it makes me appreciate the opportunity the site has given all of us, even those that don't like me much....

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.