VCCA Home
Posted By: Louis C. VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/11/06 06:35 PM
Oct. G&D

VCCA National elections;

Sure hope members read carefully the short burbs on candidates and vote.

Some are and some aren't and I know it is not required that candidates be on Chatter, however it sure helped me in casting my vote when I 'know' some of the candidates because of Chatter discussions in the past.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/11/06 11:07 PM
Good point, Louis C. And remember everyone, we have until December 1, 2006 to get those ballots in so there is plenty of time to ask questions of the candidates and review some of the previous posts here on Chatter.
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/12/06 08:08 PM
I didn't get my G&D yet so I don't know who's on the ballot.

I'll surely second (or third) that invite to all candidates.

Hey Louis C. Do you still have that list of prepared questions for these guys to mule over?
Without looking like they are campaining, maybe they should present their thought on some of them.
idea
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/12/06 08:11 PM
I wonder if...

As the yet un-officially recognized "Chat Chapter", we might sponsor a debate between the candidates??????

...mmmm....could it work?
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/12/06 08:25 PM
Ray, For me, for this election only, knowing some of the people running because they have been involved during the past few years in Chatter discussions I had no problem figuring out how to vote.

Next election could be different however...so we still need (IMHO) the motion that shows up in the Oct. issue that wants "candidates to give answers to set questions in the G&D" to pass the BOD. I knew how to vote but what about the members that only can go on that short burb in the G&D and aren't on Chatter.

IMHO I think all future candidates should think long and hard about getting involved with Chatter so their views get to be known by the membership.
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/12/06 11:24 PM
Great information Lou. Now I can hardly wait to see the October G&D!!!
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/13/06 12:56 PM
As I wont get the relevant articles until well after the election could someone email the appropriate information prior to the election.
My email address is in my profile.
Tony
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/13/06 02:52 PM
Good point Tony, even the short blurbs should be posted somewhere here on Chatter or the VCCA home site for everyone to read and especially the members who get the G&D late.

Since the election post card for voting is in the Oct. issue will you even get a chance to vote Tony?

Looks like we need a way to let overseas members vote...IMHO. Making someone your Proxy would be a quick and easy way if the BOD or whoever is in charge of elections would allow it.
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/13/06 11:17 PM
Louis
I doubt I will get the october issue in time to vote that is why I requested the relevant information be emailed. July is the last issue of G&D that has arrived as a indication.
Another problem that may occur is my membership renewal will probably lapse before I get notification if it hasnt already, if that has a common due date, I joined January this year.
Tony
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/13/06 11:22 PM
Tony check out Dan's site, we are both in the lobby right now.

Maybe some others can join us to test it out...
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/13/06 11:24 PM
Wow........what a tremendous reason to have electronic voting.

Any candidates looking in here??? How about a response to address this problem?
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/14/06 12:12 AM
Tony,

As I recall Shirley Whitesell gets the renewal notices out about 4 - 6 weeks before the dues money is due. I still wind up sending my check just before the dead line.

The 4 - 6 weeks is "US" timing. Not sure how it will go with you way down under.

How's the Spring weather??

Bill.
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/14/06 01:13 AM
3 months for the G&D to get down under...wow.

Wonder what 1st class is?
Posted By: jerrygolf Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/14/06 02:03 AM
Coming UP from Australia I could see taking 3 months but going DOWN to Australia should go faster. Not? :confused: idea laugh
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/14/06 11:09 AM
Jerry
The problem with the from US to Aus is it travels against the wind to get here.
It takes 13 hours flying time from Sydney to San Francisco and 14 hours to return, been there done that.
Tony
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/14/06 09:12 PM
Ok Tony if it takes all that time from there to here how come you are always so far ahead of us!
After all it is already the next day "Down Under?

And if the world ends tomorrow will it happen to you yesterday?
Posted By: ChevyGuru Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 01:40 AM
I wanted to respond to a couple of these items.

Yes, some board members (and therefore candidates) are in here regularly. But it is forbidden in the By-Laws for us to do anything that could be seen as 'campaigning.'

By-Laws, Section 5.7.1 states:

"Candidates for the VCCA Board of Directors must refrain from any and all campaigning including, but not limited to, the distribution or mailing of campaign materials, letter writing, e-mailing, POSTING ON WEBSITES, or calling members to solicit votes." (my capitals)

This is why none of us are posting any opinions or comments about this subject. It even makes me a little nervous to post this basic information.

On another matter, the problem of this terribly slow delivery to international members has been discussed by the Board more than once, unfortunately without meaningful action being taken. It so happens that it is being discussed by email again right now.

Don Williams
National Board Member
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 02:15 AM
Candidates are free to answer questions from members that ask, by email, telephone or written letters. This has been the case before and is the same now. I expect many candidates have received a lot of email messages and could possibly be snowed under, but I would expect an answer before the deadline. Many of the BOD members receive several phone calls and letters each day, at least I would hope they do.

How to contact them, well for some of them it isn't too easy, (those that aren't already on the Board) you will need to look them up in the G&D 2005 Directory, Then you may even have to do a search engine I use Yahoo! because it works for me. I do know I would be reluctant to vote for a candidate that wasn't easy to contact. But do as you please, not as I do.

I am not one to vote early, I wait until I see and hear as much information on the candidates as possible, also I only vote Once a year , not often, as the topic of this thread suggests!
We already have elected Directors for the Area#3, Area #6, and Area #10 because they are running unopposed!

Congratulations:

Leigh H. Wilcox, Oregon
Clay C. Perrine, Texas
Kenneth Farley, Virginia
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 06:25 PM
Candidates can't:

"Candidates for the VCCA Board of Directors must refrain from any and all campaigning including, but not limited to, the distribution or mailing of campaign materials, letter writing, e-mailing, POSTING ON WEBSITES, or calling members to solicit votes." (my capitals)
BUT they can:

Candidates are free to answer questions from members that ask, by email, telephone or written letters. This has been the case before and is the same now. I expect many candidates have received a lot of email messages and could possibly be snowed under, but I would expect an answer before the deadline. Many of the BOD members receive several phone calls and letters each day, at least I would hope they do.

"...vote often" means to vote every time there is an election, that means ANY and ALL elections where you are a qualified elector.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 06:32 PM
Thanks for that information ChevyGuru, but it doesn't seem fair to the candidates or the general membership to restrict candidates and members from asking a question on this site and not allowing the candidates to answer here. What's the difference whether I post a question for the candidates here, or if I telephone, email or write to each of the candidates individually with the same question? This chat site is just another form of communication.

I'm not sure what the intent of By-Laws, Section 5.7.1 was really meant to accomplish, but I don't see answering a question on this site as a violation of that Section. To me that section doesn't say don't answer questions, it says don't call me, write to me, email me or post on a website anything that could be construed as saying "VOTE FOR ME". The only "campaigning" the candidates are allowed to do then, is to enter thier 150 words or less in the G&D.

And if this is really true, I understand why none of you can answer this or express your opinion about it here.

IMHO this is pretty sad.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 07:07 PM
Remeber these questions?
Up dated list:

Suggestions for rationale and questions so far.

Rationale:

Rationale would be to help members make better intelligent choices when voting for candidates. IMHO

Questions:

#1. What do you think the role of this Club's web site should be?

#2. What do you think the role of this Club's magazine should be?

#3. What do you feel are your qualifications to be a member of the BOD?
Please provide VCCA and non-VCCA qualifications.

#4. What specific experience do you have on other Boards or positions of authority, in managing a
business or other group activity (business, public sector, religious, or whatever)?

#5. Do you support a budget process for the VCCA? Why? (Or Explain).

#6. Do you feel that the BOD size should be reduced, expanded or remain the same? Please explain.

#7. Should the VCCA Chatter site be open to VCCA members only?

#8. Should the VCCA library be put into the AACA library? Why or why not.

#9. Would you be able to attend the BOD meetings?

#10. How much experience do you have with ”˜Not for profit’ associations?

#11. How much experience do you have in working with Team's of Volunteers?

#12. What experience do you have "occupationally" or personally that may aid VCCA?

#13. Do you have experience working with 8,000+ people or more?

#14. In what ways do you feel you can contribute to VCCA?

#15. Are there any specific base qualifications for a VCCA position? Explain.

#16. Do you think the candidates answering questions from the membership is a good idea or not? Why?

#17. Would you be in favor of the using the VCCA web site to complete and maintain an Electronic membership list?

#18. Would you be in favor of the using the VCCA web site to enable payment of dues and purchases from National & the Regions for their fund raising efforts?

#19. Would you be in favor of using Electronic communications to the Tech Advisors?

#20. Would you be in favor of using Chevy Chatters or the VCCA site to handle a variety of duties? For example; registering for tours and meets, getting vendor spots, etc.
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/15/06 07:15 PM
Ken, you said it perfect…I agree 100%.

I also assume the intent of the BOD was that they did not want mass mailings of campaign stuff going to members not against candidates answering questions from their fellow club members. IMHO
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/16/06 03:01 AM
Actually, I think The Board of Directors didn't want wealthy candidates to wage an expensive campaign with magazine adds and mass mailings and end up "Buying" a position on the BOD.

There are always pros and cons to having regulations that attempt to control everyones rights to equality when running for an elective office. I think this "Anti-campaigning" rule is basically a good rule for our club.
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/16/06 11:18 AM
I dont think answering questions on this forum is any different to answering the same questions by any other form of delivery.
Tony
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/16/06 05:45 PM
I don't think there is any difference either Tonyw,

If I ever go Wackyer and run for the VCCA National Board I will be sure to post my answers to questions here, others are free to conduct their campaign as they choose.

It may be a poor choice for members to elect a crazy person to a National Board, but maybe a Wacky one would be OK?

wink :p bigl bigl bigl yay
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/16/06 06:37 PM
So how do we get the BOD (or whoever) to clarify the difference between campaigning and answering questions and let everyone know what behaviors are ok and what aren’t?
Posted By: RUST TO SHINE Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/16/06 08:04 PM
Is there a place on this web sight that explains
what this BOD stuff is all about. I am a new member to this club and I don't have any idea what all this means. Am I supposed to vote? If I am, I wouldn't know who to vote for anyway. Never heard of these people. Now if MrMack, Chevgene, Louis C, Junkyard dog, ECT., I would know who who to vote for. So as of now I won't be sending in my ballot until I learn more about the politics of this group. Thanks...Oscar :confused: :confused:
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 12:37 AM
RUST to SHINE

If you aren't yet a member of VCCA:

The first thing I believe you should do is print out the application for VCCA membership, (it is included in the information at VCCA.org).
Fill it out and send it in to the VCCA National Membership Secretary along with the correct amount of US funds. Then you will receive a membership I.D. badge by return mail and start receiving the G&D each month.

The VCCA National web site page has a lot of information about the way the National club operates
VCCA Web Page
everything Nationally is done by the elected National Board of Directors and their committees. We have a composite Board of Directors. The country is divided into geographical Areas, and then each Area is divided up into Regions. Each Area has a National Board Member elected by the members within that Area.There are 11 Geographical Areas in the US, from this pool we have 11 National Board Members.

We also have a number of National Board members that are elected At-Large, there are 6 At-Large Board of Directors. Every one in the National club votes for the At-Large members up for election. All of the Board of Directors are elected for 3 year terms on a rotating basis.

Yes, any current member of VCCA should VOTE for any Board position that you can. The ballots are included in the October G&D and you will receive an approiate ballot based upon your Area location.

Also if you have a joint membership (you and your spouse, siginificant other) the second ballot will arrive by US mail.

The local clubs (Regions) all have information as to when and where they meet listed in the G&D under VCCA Regions. They operate and conduct Regional events, with a Regional Board of Directors under a charter from the VCCA.

You may want to check out your local Region and attend a meeting to see if you may like being a member of the Region, I highly reccomend being a member of a local Region. (just my humble opinion)

In the case that I have errored in this disclosure, I am sure that some of the other more well informed members of VCCA will graciously correct my statements.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 01:14 AM
Good information, MrMack.

Is it too late for a nomination? You've got my vote!!!
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 03:47 AM
No 48 Ken, not this year.

I have a good job with the Lone Star Region and We will work to keep The LSR one of the top Regions in VCCA. That means working with some of the very best VCCA members on the planet, They amaze me event after event. I wish all the National candidates as much success and enjoyment as we have at the Regional level, as they work to improve services to the general members of VCCA, whose dues money go toward getting the word out about preserveing and restoreing those fine old Chevrolets to be driven and shown, after all I think that is the goal for the long term.
Posted By: RUST TO SHINE Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 01:56 PM
Thanks MrMack for the information. I am a member of the VCCA and I am joining the South Bay Region. I will be going on my first tour this weekend to a car detailing class in Salinas Ca. It should be fun. I have gotten two issues of the G&D and read everything in it. I read about the people running for the BOD and it really didn't tell me much about them. I will do my best and I will vote and I hope I vote for the right person, it's just I haven't been in this club very long. Thanks and have a good day...Oscar Albretsen
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 02:39 PM
Very good Oscar, I didn't know for sure, since your VCCA number wasn't posted on your profile.

I am sure that those running for the BOD are all well qualified to represent us, when given the chance. I have no doubt that they will try to answer your questions, fully, when they are properly addressed to them

Welcome aboard....and enjoy your ride!
Posted By: RUST TO SHINE Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 04:37 PM
Thanks MrMack...Oscar chevy bigl bigl
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/17/06 11:29 PM
MrMack,

Good for you sir.I respect your wishes and your fine work with your region. I've watched your views here and respect them as well. Your leadership would be welcome and valued at the national level if you ever decided to go that route (IMHO). It's always good to stir the pot once in a while, right?
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 02:58 AM
Stirring the pot, yes, that keeps the beans cooking evenly from top to bottom, I hate the smell of burnt beans, don't you?
Posted By: jerrygolf Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 04:43 AM
I vote for Richelle. Agrin devil That should stir the pot. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 05:03 AM
You can fool some of the people all the time.

And, you can fool all of the people some of the time.

But, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

I guess that's a three-liner. But it sure seems to fit someplace. Maybe here.... actually a couple of posts back!

(I think somebody said Abe Lincoln said it. I have NO idea if that's true or not.)

Bill.
Posted By: cordman Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 01:43 PM
Ken's 20 questions - Think about this, we only have one new person running for board as an at large candidate. If we toughen the requirements, then we will have zero.

Mack's comment about a candidate being flooded with inquiries so the members can vote intelligently. When I ran for Board I had ZERO inquiries. I had ZERO inquiries the first full year I was a board member. I have gotten some in this 2nd year.
Cordman
Posted By: Back Roads Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 08:23 PM
Does anyone have the email address of Ruth Wagley of Port Charlotte, Florida so we can learn more about her qualifications for the National Board?
Posted By: Chipper Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 08:48 PM
The lack of enough information to base an intelligent vote is exactly why I wrote the letter to the editor that was published in the October issue of the G&D. This is particularly true for members who do not participate in Meets, Tours, Chatsite and other VCCA activities where they can meet candidates and others who might have relevant information on the workings of the VCCA.

The campaign issue is multi-faceted. It may be good or bad depending on several facts. The candidates "must refrain" from campaigning. But, 1. No penalties are published, 2. nothing prohibits others from campaigning for a candidate 3. without some recognized means for the candidates to get their positions and commitments to the voters then the election becomes in my opinion a "popularity contest" at best (FYI, I served on the Board for 21 years) or 4. the prohibition dramatically favors the incumbents.

I fully understand and support efforts to restrict the possibility of "buying" a Board position. However to prohibit, restrict or otherwise reduce the communications between candidates and the membership is WRONG! and not in the best interest of the membership.

The present Board has commented on several occasions about the pitiful few members who vote and then will not do anything to help members feel more comfortable in voting. Hopefully some more members will go through the process of contacting the candidates, discussing their qualifications with those who know them and other means to make in informed vote. I believe that the higher percentage of members who vote the more desirable a Board position will become and then more and better candidates will choose to run. The Board really needs legal, financial, business expertise and folks who are dedicated (and will on a timely basis perform duties) to improving the Club for it to survive.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/18/06 11:43 PM
I believe the pot has been stirred.

Jerrygolf............you really know how to stir a pot!!
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/19/06 12:07 AM
Chipper is right on.
This club has to wake up and smell the roses. The candidates should be here talking up a good argument for the future of this organization to survive the next 45 years.
As of today my G&D has not arrived and the suspense is killing me. Who the heck is running?...and what do they intend to do to remedy the events of the last year. At this time of the year the very first page of this web site should have a link to the candidates running for office. That's news guys. That's important stuff!
Like I have said before, the G&D is not to be relied upon for club news. Does anyone buy a monthy magazine for current events?
Jeeze...it's about time the club uses this medium.
...and don't tell me that the majority of the club dosen't have, or know how to use a computer!
RayG mad
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/19/06 01:40 AM
From the October 06 G&D:
There are three candidates running for two At-large positions on the BOD

1) Don Williams* Wooster, Ohio (Chevyguru)

2) Ruth Wagley, Port Charlotte, FL

3) Steve Scott* Lindenhurst IL (novasscott)

*incumbants

Area 9,
Bob Denison present Director is not listed as a candidate.

Listed are:

1) Paul Dimbath, Lakeland FL

2) William J. Saylors, Sparta, TN.

Areas 3,6, and 10 have candidates running unopposed.

Area 1 Director Jean Fink has resigned and has a 1 1/2 year unexpired term, , and the BOD should appoint someone to succede Ms. Fink, according to how I read the by-laws.

Ballots must be returned by Dec 1, 2006
Posted By: Chipper Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/19/06 03:56 PM
Gloria Palazzo has been appointed and approved by the Board to fill the remainder of the term in Area 1.
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/19/06 09:10 PM
I agree with what Chipper said above.

---------------------------

What would happen if I endorsed some candidates here on Chatter or said who I voted for?
Posted By: SA Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/20/06 12:02 AM
Deleted.
Posted By: SA Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/20/06 12:03 AM
Deleted.
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/20/06 05:59 PM
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/20/06 07:10 PM
Gloria is a good choce in my opinion.
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/21/06 02:42 AM
Man oh man... are you two gonna rattle some feathers.

Do ya think it's time for the Chat Chapter to endorse a candidate?

Can we do that?

dance
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/21/06 02:48 AM
Hey!...

Kinda strange how the site goes down right after the candidates are published...

ya think the timing was a little advanced?

wazzup
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/30/06 09:37 PM
I don't know Ray, is there anything in any VCCA by-laws about endorsements?

Of course first we need to be approved...anyone hear of when it will be discussed by the powers that be?
Posted By: RGwiz Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 10/31/06 02:35 AM
Thanks Mack for posting the candidates. My G&D did finally arrive last week.

My post on the 20th was a little gruff and I'm sorry if it looks like I was putting the blame on the web site officers. I did not want to relay that message.

Lou, I don't know. I do know that we can talk about the candidates here, because there is a disclaimer on the opening pages.

But then again, the candidates can allways come on and we would get it from the horse's mouth.
Posted By: Solan Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/07/06 07:27 PM
Hopefully all old and new Board members have easy access to Internet and are wanting to use that system in the communication with all VCCA-members.

If this also could be implemented as to all the technical advisers, it would mean a(n) (r)evolution to many members and the whole club.

I vote for the Internet guys & dolls! :) chevy
Posted By: Chipper Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/09/06 11:25 PM
Once the VCCA has the capability to limit specific sites to members only then more services and discussion will be available. Hopefully with the recent acceptance (verified by a couple of Board Members) of the Webmaster position by an eminately qualified individual the VCCA can be brought into the 21st Century. Keep the faith people it will eventually happen. It will happen much faster if progressive and forward looking Board Members are elected and take leadership positions. Hint, Hint!
Posted By: Solan Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/16/06 02:41 AM
I take it that all members (and the candidates)of the board have easy access to Internet, and are familiar to the use of it.

You certainly need steady firewall and safety equipment, etc. but then the net is cheap and much faster than a letter or a magazine.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/17/06 07:57 AM
December 1 is right around the corner.

Can't VOTE EARLY anymore and shouldn't VOTE OFTEN, but please don't forget to vote.

If you don't vote, you can't complain!!!

VOTE SOON
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/17/06 08:00 AM
From Solan's post just a couple back....

I take it that all members (and the candidates)of the board have easy access to Internet, and are familiar to the use of it.
Earlier discussions / posts indicate otherwise. I seem to recall reading as many as 25% of current board members do NOT have / use internet /email / etc.

Bill.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/17/06 08:08 AM
Even if that's true, Bill, we all should still vote.
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/17/06 12:20 PM
I agree completely - - that we should vote. And pretty soon, for those who haven't. As you noted just above, December First is right around the corner.

Bill.
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/20/06 08:29 PM
What the heck............VOTE anyway.........even if doesn't make a difference!!
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/22/06 11:34 PM
...........or don't vote.

Not voting can make a difference too.
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/23/06 02:29 AM
"We" sure found out that's true!!!!!!

auto curse
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/23/06 08:11 AM
MrMack
I like the way you stir the pot.
If you, JYD, Louisc, Chevgene and a few others decided to stand for BOD I would be adding my vote as well.
Tony
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/24/06 09:21 AM
I have been waiting for the vote papers to arrive. I then realized if they are in Octobers G&D I wont see them until January.
Is there any way of me getting a copy here and sent back in time. If I dont need to sign a emailed copy could be filled in and emailed back as I would not expect snail mail to be fast enough now.
Tony
Posted By: Solan Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 11/26/06 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by 42bill
From Solan's post just a couple back....

Bill says:I seem to recall reading as many as 25% of current board members do NOT have / use internet /email / etc.

Bill.
This is something the board will have to change, the faster the better. Get all board members what they need to be on the net 24/7, and if necessary give them some lessons in using the system thereafter. By giving every member of the board this possibility, the whole club will work much better and faster. This must be adjusted already this year!
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/02/06 03:56 AM
Many thanks to every member who voted in this election. If you don't like how things are being done, then you now have a say in getting them changed. yipp

Equally important, if you don't like how things are being done six months from now, then PREPARE A RESUME and run for office yourself next time!!! wazzup

Our club is like democracy... it's not the best way to run a club, but it's the best that we have at present.. So let's continue to stay active and provide support.

yay

And with that, I'm going to sign off for tonight. Tomorrow we head off to Portland Oregon on Amtrak and will go on a glorious "Garage Tour" for two days. And... amazingly, every married person is bringing their spouse!!!! 25 People all together.
stressed

Does anyone know of a divorce lawyer that has group rates!!
bigl

Hap p y H o l i d a y s !!!!

Posted By: Solan Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/06/06 01:14 AM
How many members did vote this time? It is a pitty the International members cannot vote electronically by e-mail. If we are lucky, we receive the ballot just in time to reverse the card to reach the limit of 1st December.

Please, make the voting more efficient before next year and you will receive lots of more votes for the candidates.

Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/06/06 03:46 AM
Well can International voters vote at all? at one time I understood that they couldn't, but surely that has changed.
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/06/06 11:35 AM
Getting G&D 3 months late is 1 thing but not being able to vote at all would make some think a second time about renewing their membership.
If I think of it in time next year I will get someone to scan and email the relevant info.
Tony
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/07/06 10:27 PM
Tony W,
I have been informed by Clay Perrine, that YES !, International members can vote, the application form hasn't been changed to reflect the changes. I was told from around 5 years ago. International voters can vote for all the at large spots and also vote for the Area 6 Regional Director, which is Bill Bradford for 2006 and will be Clay Perrine, Clay ran unopposed, he will be Area 6 Director after he is installed at the 2007 Board of Directors' meeting.
Clay also said that the Board is working on a way to improve the delivery of the G&D to the International members.
Posted By: tonyw Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/08/06 11:51 AM
Mack
I thank you for the information on voting and I also realize it could turn into a nightmare for those organizing the voting pack situation. If the printers (Finks) were prepared to email the overseas members the voting section at the approriate time would be a help.
Tony
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/08/06 03:10 PM
Well hell yes, It could be a nightmare for the publishers. But in my estimation of things that need to come about, Why does everything have to go thru the G&D Editors anyway?

Why can't VCCA have an Election Committee with a desiginated person to make sure that there is an email address posted on VCCA.org where International members could request ans receive an electronic ballot, then count the votes and send a certifyed list to the election judges, where ever they be?

But, That might require......

That would require a electronic digitual membership list so that the election officials could certify the members being qualified to vote.

There has got to be a way that VCCA with all the volunteer help available can come up with the data base without bankrupting the VCCA Treasury or letting all the secrets (?) out... Come on, let's get realistic! !
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/08/06 03:57 PM
The beans are burning, the beans are burning....quick, stir the pot!!!

Sounds like deja vu all over again!! :grin: wink
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/09/06 12:58 AM
The beans are burned...the smoke detector is singing and we've been here before. It doesn't matter anymore.....it's gonna happen the way it's gonna happen!!! Keep the Chevys rollin' !!!
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/09/06 03:59 AM
So...That is the smoke detector going off?...for years at our house I thought that sound meant that dinner was about done! are you sure that it isn't the dinner bell?....Oh well never mind......Have we strayed a tad off course?
Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 12/10/06 01:01 AM
Apparently we have strayed and have been shown the light :tired:
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/06/07 01:39 AM
The club BOARD's page has been updated to refect the results of the 2006 elections. http://vcca.org/board.htm

Congratulations to everyone who was elected, or re-elected, and many, many thanks to the other candidates who displayed pride and dedication in running for office. My hat's off to you all.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/06/07 04:20 PM
Thanks for the update Billy Boy. I'm sure that many wondered how the elections turned out.

:cool2: :) laugh
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/06/07 11:36 PM
Our club is like democracy...
Actually we are somewhat like a Representative Democracy which is what we practice in our national and state governments. We are much too numerous to have a ”˜true’ democracy (where everyone votes on each and every issue) this works only in small groups like your local club or family.

However one of the main tenants of a Representative Democracy is that all citizens (members) have a right to vote for the Representatives that make all of the decisions for all of us; at this time this is not true of our club.

This is the most important and basic requirement of any Representative Democracy and IMHO this issue should be the first priority of the new BOD.

IMHO, there should be several ways for overseas members to vote: for ones with the WWW they could vote by computer (wish all of us could) and ones w/o www could vote by using a proxy (same as you do for major corporation voting when you can't attend).

If we aren’t able to do the computer voting for whatever reason then IMHO we should install a proxy voting system or some other way for everyone to be able to vote until computer voting becomes a reality.

I would think that they are ways here on Chatter right now for the proxy holder and the proxy giver to talk with each other in private.

There are even companies that will set anyone up with a proxy voting system.

Example:

proxy company

People can change or cancel their proxy holder quick and easy also so changing your mind about who to vote for is not a problem.

With all of the intelligence and abilities on the BOD I think the VCCA could figure out how to do proxy voting w/o any help, IMHO.

If would seem to me that overseas members could be mailed inside their G&D the paper proxy form months and months before any election or even years before.

Maybe being able to vote without any problems has make some of us forget how important it is to be able to vote. I can only imagine how some of us here in North America would react to not being able to vote for the decision makers…wait a minute a do know how we would react because it caused us to revolt back in 1776 didn't it...

Just food for thought.
Posted By: 42bill Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/07/07 12:17 AM
Here's something from Chipper on Oct 31, 2005 in a "similar" thread. I think that thread was entitled "Voting for Board Members."

..... only 8-10% of members vote .....

If that's the case, and I have NO reason to dispute the figure, it seems all these posts are waste of time. Even more so the long winded ones. The members are gonna vote; or they're not. Looks like most don't.

Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/07/07 12:24 AM
The members are gonna vote; or they're not.

of course this is not true for the overseas members, is it.

The solution to "wasting" your time is to just stop reading...

Sort of funny the people who CAN vote have a different opinion then the ones that CAN NOT vote.

Posted By: ken48 Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/07/07 12:53 AM
IMHO......every VCCA member in good standing should have the right to vote regardless of where they live. If just one member is denied the right to vote, it's time to ask why....and DEMAND an answer.

If some members CHOOSE not to vote, that too is their right.
But if just one member is DENIED the right to vote for what ever reason....that is wrong. Everyone who pays his VCCA dues has equal rights.

I agree 42Bill, "The members are gonna vote; or they're not.", but the point is each member MUST be given the opportunity to vote. Apparently that is not happening and a change MUST be made.

Wow, let me get off the soap box.

Have a nice evening.

(Mr. Moderator.....sorry if I got a little too political there)
Posted By: Louis C. Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/08/07 12:10 AM
IMHO our overseas members are the most loyal members we have; they pay the same dues as the rest of us and:

1. They can't vote for their club officials,
2. They get their G&D months after the rest of us which makes the ads useless or almost useless for them,
3. Most are too far away to participate in the meets and tours and if they do it costs a lot more,
4. They don't have local junkyards to search or local parts like we do,
5. They have few if any other Chevy owners close by to talk with,
6. Most if not all don't have enough local members to form a chapter,
7. When they need a part they have to pay a lot more for shipping and returns must be a nightmare.
8. And they have to deal with the time zone issue even to use Chatter.

As a club we can't do anything about numbers 3 thru 8, we might be able with computers technology to help with number 2 but without a doubt we can do something about number 1 if we as a group care enough to do something.

Just MHO as to why I feel the overseas members must love Chevys a whole lot more than maybe some of us here.

I feel sometimes that I don't get as much from the club as others because I have numbers 3 and 6 to deal with; so I don't know how I would feel if I had to deal with all 8...

IMHO
Posted By: MrMack Re: VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN - 01/08/07 12:32 AM
Louis, Don't get to feeling too sorry for yourself, it isn't healthy, it could lead to depression! just jerking your chain....
as to having a problem with the time zone that is the thing about Chatter, you can post and leave then return and read the replys, without having to watch the clock to see when someone will be around as with a real time chat, which we are now blessed to have both of. This place is the best communications device I have ever used to keep abreast of the old Chevy fans. I have been able to get to know and appreciate the work of the International Chevy fans better and it makes me appreciate the opportunity the site has given all of us, even those that don't like me much....
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum