Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Greetings!! I am about to tackle the wiring in my 32 roadster. Wanted to ask those more learned than I for tips tricks and recommendations for making the job easier. For example, i am wondering if i should go to the trouble of dropping the instrument panel or unscrew the gauges, leaving the assembly intact? Which is ultimately easier/ better? I have the filling station wiring kit. Are there clearer schematics anywhere? I'd be able to do from that schematic, but easier on the eyes would be a plus. Insight deeply appreciated from those who have preceded me in this.[Linked Image from vccachat.org][Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
It would appear someone has already attempted rewiring a few thing already.

I would say that if this is the extent of what your rewiring project consists of, it would seem to make more sense to just do one replacement wire at a time. Maybe shop for some good quality terminals and just take your time until they're all done.

I would say this though. Most people tend to run their replacement wiring more "as the crow flys" than determining a nice clean route and grouping all their wires down that same route. It takes a little practice but you'll be WAY happier with the outcome when you apply some well thought out planning.

And also find some nice wire wrap in a few different sizes. That too will make your project really look good. Again, more practice... better results.

And don't let yourself be intimidated. They're just wires.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I used a pre made harness from Y n Z on several cars and was happy with the quality and the help on the phone when something wasn't clear. I thought I took enough pictures of how the harness was routed but more would not have been a bad idea. On my 31 I took out the seat and used a moving blanket for my back to put everything together while the gauges were in place. Before tightening anything I had the harness in place and made sure everything would reach their terminals.

Dave

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Yes to Dave39MD’s recommendation! A goor reproduction harness, lots of pictures, and remove the seat.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Michael Paul,
These are wise and good suggestions to follow. To add a suggestion to the following of the wiring diagram and reviewing photos, a paint marker pen comes in handy to mark both the terminal stud and the original wiring terminal end before undoing the connection. This will keep the confusion down to be able to match the new wire to the old wire and know which terminal stud to connect to. If you don't want to use marking paint, a bag of multi colored zip ties could do the same thing. One wire (swap) at a time is a proven way to keep confusion in check. Sometimes, in order to install a new wire, the old wire needs to be pulled out to make room for the new wire (tight routing areas, grommets and such). Having the new wire marked matching the old wire will make sure where the wire goes. Do that for both ends of wires and for verification of electrical connections, check them using a continuity meter. Checking a wrong connection with 6 or 12 volt might ruin components and wiring. Edit: The terminal studs could use some penetrating oil and use two wrenches when removing and installing connections to avoid damaging components.

Last edited by Harrys31coach; 03/07/24 08:01 AM. Reason: Additional Insight
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Michael

Lay your harness on the floor next to the car, front to front, back to back.
It takes some of the confusion out of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.