Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489548 02/11/24 04:07 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have an Offenhauser dual intake manifold and 2 Zenith model 28 carbs. The carbs are rebuilt and I am considering installing on my 1950 Bel Air with pg and 235 engine. I need help with linkage. Does any one have linkage for this or a picture of the linkage installed. Thank you
Bill Pierson

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
At the risk of sounding rude... you've heard the expression "Life is what you make it"?

Replace 'Life" with "Linkage".

Or put another way and as it was recently put to me "That's why they call it Hot Rodding"

Attached Images
IMG_0876.jpeg
Last edited by Skidplate; 02/12/24 01:05 AM.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I expect that your best approach is to go through the catalogs from places like Summit and JEGS. As Skidplate note, it will be what you make it.

At least you will not be challenged with integrating the kickdown linkage (unless the transmission is 1953 or newer).

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The linkage that came with the Offy Intake was primitive at best. The advice of fabricating or even looking at aftermarket linkage kits is probably great advice. I can look around for the factory linkage and get a picture if you like but I really don't think it will help you much.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks all. I will try to mock up some linkage with some threaded rod and levers. Then have it made up with better materials. I may try one of the after markets if I am not happy with my work

Bill Pierson
Luggnutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oh, and I kinda failed to mention, like almost everything else, there are all kinds of YouTube videos on the subject. As well as videos from the guys who market carburetors for old cars. Once you see how they have done it, it's a lot less scary. These are also the guys who have a great selection of said linkage components too. I used Stromberg carbs on my build and the various linkage components were offered there too.

Do a little research also about the various rules for two carbs as apposed to the three carb setups. Two is usually linked solid (together) and three is usually a variable config I.e., one is primary and the other two kick in later. I have my suspicion though that each vehicle requires their own unique configuration for best performance.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Skidplate
Do a little research also about the various rules for two carbs as apposed to the three carb setups. Two is usually linked solid (together) and three is usually a variable config I.e., one is primary and the other two kick in later. I have my suspicion though that each vehicle requires their own unique configuration for best performance.

Did you EVER see a Jaguar or Austin Healey 3-carb 6 cylinder with progressive linkage???

Jon

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
No. Not specifically. I know most American 3 carb setups were progressive. I also know that multi carb configs seldom did anything near as good as a well designed 4 barrel setup. I have my dual carbs on my 248 Buick and they look really cool. But if there was a 4 barrel carb intake available, I'd swap it in a heartbeat.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.