Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#478303 01/30/23 11:48 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Currently re-wiring parts of the 41. We have been keeping detailed notes on paper of what color wire we are using for each circuit. I would like to take the original wire diagram, scan it into the PC and color code all the wires. This way I could print a copy for each of my kids while we work on the car. They are learning to wire and having the colors in the diagram would help them allot.

Have any of you used a application to do this?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
My approach would be to download the pdf of the '41 wiring diagram from the Online Chevy Manuals site. Then I would use the "sticky note" function in Acrobat reader to annotate the wire color and gauge.

If you truly want to edit the file I expect you will have to buy some type of license from Adobe.

An alternative if you good with Photoshop would be to download the jpg file and "alter" the picture using Photoshop functions.

I doubt if running the pdf through some type of Optical Character Recognition tool will be of any benefit. My limited experience is that those tools don't know what to do with a pdf that is primarily image based.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have an old version of Corel Draw which would allow you to overlay colored lines over the black of the wiring diagram. It would be an involved process since every line would have to be done individually. I've never used photoshop so can't contribute an opinion there.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You could use the Paint program that is included in Windows. You'll find it in the Start menu under Windows Accessories.

It is a simple program (not a lot of function), but it does contain things like arrows and lines and a color palette for those items.

One suggestion: play with a COPY of your scan, not the original in case you mess something up.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I was leaning tword paint. Was looking to see if anyone had used a better program in the past. Wish I had Visio on my home PC put I do not.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Classic Wiring has laminate colored diagrams. I have two of them. 11X17 or 18X24 inches. Very good to have.

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
This might be the simplest solution.

Print out the pdf file of the stock wiring diagram. As you and your sons do your work, make notes of wire gauge & color. on that page. Draw in any wires you add.

Then scan that page so you have a current file that can always be printed.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I am getting ready to rewire my 38 sedan and will ID the wires as I install them like an aircraft by some means over the fabric covered jackets. . This is not original but practical should repairs be needed.. Color coding is good too but pricey for the fabric coated wire especially if you won’t use an entire spool. My original harness looks like the same wire used on everything, can’t tell one from the other. They might have different travers but I can’t tell one from the other.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The original wires were a tan color with different colo tracer threads for identification. The tracer strings tend to fade after 70 years.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Since this is a father son project for fun and not a show / full restoration we are using modern wire. More cost effective and easier to get. We are hiding the wires best we can s you would have to look for them to find them.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
When I rewired my 38 I used several colors of modern wire wrapped in modern plastic insulating tape, may nor be original but I am not building a judged show truck. I doubt many are going to see it anyway.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
When I rewired my 38 I used several colors of modern wire wrapped in modern plastic insulating tape, may nor be original but I am not building a judged show truck. I doubt many are going to see it anyway.
Tony

We have done something similar to make striped wire. We bought a pack of six different colors of electrical tape. Every foot we wrap a piece around the wire.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
did this with my 1929 and various other wiring projects i have done... i digitize them in AutoCAD :) layer them and color them accordingly.

i also have used paint.net to do simple wiring coloring for the 1996 mower i was redoing. i allowed me to trace over the black lines with colored lines of choice. it is free and pretty powerful :)

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well we have decided to go with my son's plan for now. He came up with his own system so it is what we will go with. We hare using the diagram from the manual and the one that came with the turn signal lever. On the back of the printout of the main wire diagram I have listed by hand what color was used for each wire. After each day I make a picture so if it is lost we have a backup.

His idea was when he is laying under the dash on the floor the diagram is a pain to read. He can see all the wires and we are doing a bit at a time. He just copies a list of whet he will be using and attaches it to the car with a magnet where he can see it and works off it. Any questions regarding the diagram he just calls me over. When all is done we will make an updated diagram.

My youngest has done all the dash connections to date. He makes measurements and tells me to make any harnesses or parts he needs. For example for the dash lights he measured the distance between each bulb, drew a diagram and handed me all the old sockets he removed. From his instructions I was able to make the harness. for him. He plans to take all of the wires when done an wrap them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tiny), 81 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,047
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.