VCCA Home
Posted By: Mr87Monty Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 03:48 PM
Currently re-wiring parts of the 41. We have been keeping detailed notes on paper of what color wire we are using for each circuit. I would like to take the original wire diagram, scan it into the PC and color code all the wires. This way I could print a copy for each of my kids while we work on the car. They are learning to wire and having the colors in the diagram would help them allot.

Have any of you used a application to do this?
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 04:37 PM
My approach would be to download the pdf of the '41 wiring diagram from the Online Chevy Manuals site. Then I would use the "sticky note" function in Acrobat reader to annotate the wire color and gauge.

If you truly want to edit the file I expect you will have to buy some type of license from Adobe.

An alternative if you good with Photoshop would be to download the jpg file and "alter" the picture using Photoshop functions.

I doubt if running the pdf through some type of Optical Character Recognition tool will be of any benefit. My limited experience is that those tools don't know what to do with a pdf that is primarily image based.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 05:36 PM
I have an old version of Corel Draw which would allow you to overlay colored lines over the black of the wiring diagram. It would be an involved process since every line would have to be done individually. I've never used photoshop so can't contribute an opinion there.
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 05:54 PM
You could use the Paint program that is included in Windows. You'll find it in the Start menu under Windows Accessories.

It is a simple program (not a lot of function), but it does contain things like arrows and lines and a color palette for those items.

One suggestion: play with a COPY of your scan, not the original in case you mess something up.

Cheers, Dean
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 08:07 PM
I was leaning tword paint. Was looking to see if anyone had used a better program in the past. Wish I had Visio on my home PC put I do not.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Wire diagram program - 01/30/23 09:45 PM
Classic Wiring has laminate colored diagrams. I have two of them. 11X17 or 18X24 inches. Very good to have.

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Wire diagram program - 02/04/23 05:27 PM
This might be the simplest solution.

Print out the pdf file of the stock wiring diagram. As you and your sons do your work, make notes of wire gauge & color. on that page. Draw in any wires you add.

Then scan that page so you have a current file that can always be printed.
Posted By: solafide Re: Wire diagram program - 02/07/23 07:35 PM
I am getting ready to rewire my 38 sedan and will ID the wires as I install them like an aircraft by some means over the fabric covered jackets. . This is not original but practical should repairs be needed.. Color coding is good too but pricey for the fabric coated wire especially if you won’t use an entire spool. My original harness looks like the same wire used on everything, can’t tell one from the other. They might have different travers but I can’t tell one from the other.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Wire diagram program - 02/07/23 08:08 PM
The original wires were a tan color with different colo tracer threads for identification. The tracer strings tend to fade after 70 years.
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Wire diagram program - 02/07/23 09:54 PM
Since this is a father son project for fun and not a show / full restoration we are using modern wire. More cost effective and easier to get. We are hiding the wires best we can s you would have to look for them to find them.
Posted By: tonyw Re: Wire diagram program - 02/08/23 11:47 AM
When I rewired my 38 I used several colors of modern wire wrapped in modern plastic insulating tape, may nor be original but I am not building a judged show truck. I doubt many are going to see it anyway.
Tony
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Wire diagram program - 02/09/23 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by tonyw
When I rewired my 38 I used several colors of modern wire wrapped in modern plastic insulating tape, may nor be original but I am not building a judged show truck. I doubt many are going to see it anyway.
Tony

We have done something similar to make striped wire. We bought a pack of six different colors of electrical tape. Every foot we wrap a piece around the wire.
Posted By: BearsFan315 Re: Wire diagram program - 02/09/23 11:25 PM
did this with my 1929 and various other wiring projects i have done... i digitize them in AutoCAD :) layer them and color them accordingly.

i also have used paint.net to do simple wiring coloring for the 1996 mower i was redoing. i allowed me to trace over the black lines with colored lines of choice. it is free and pretty powerful :)
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Wire diagram program - 02/13/23 01:35 PM
Well we have decided to go with my son's plan for now. He came up with his own system so it is what we will go with. We hare using the diagram from the manual and the one that came with the turn signal lever. On the back of the printout of the main wire diagram I have listed by hand what color was used for each wire. After each day I make a picture so if it is lost we have a backup.

His idea was when he is laying under the dash on the floor the diagram is a pain to read. He can see all the wires and we are doing a bit at a time. He just copies a list of whet he will be using and attaches it to the car with a magnet where he can see it and works off it. Any questions regarding the diagram he just calls me over. When all is done we will make an updated diagram.

My youngest has done all the dash connections to date. He makes measurements and tells me to make any harnesses or parts he needs. For example for the dash lights he measured the distance between each bulb, drew a diagram and handed me all the old sockets he removed. From his instructions I was able to make the harness. for him. He plans to take all of the wires when done an wrap them.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum