Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#442824 05/17/20 06:09 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello,
I want to modify the single line brake system on my ’48 3100 Thriftmaster to a dual line. It has a manual transmission.
To keep it as original as possible I ”˜am looking for a power brake booster for drum/drum brakes.
What I see there are two option: under the cab or onto the firewall. I prefer the first one.
From what I read, it won’t work with a manual transmission. Why?
Does someone has experience with or can advise me what to do?
Thanks.

'48 Chevrolet 3100 Thriftmaster
'66 GMC 1500 stepside
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I expect that there is an issue with enough room for the diameter of the brake booster due to the adjacent clutch linkage. Plus the center-line of the master cylinder might need to be lowered so the booster will not hit the bottom of the floor. That might make it tricky to maintain the same brake and clutch pivot point center-line.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The brake and clutch share a rod that they both pivot on. When you go to a different Master brake setup, you lose the pivot rod support on one side for the clutch.

The Filling station or Chevs of the 40's may have a bracket for your year that allows support for the clutch and brake pivot arm when doing a change like this.

One member that pops in occasionally has converted an earlier truck master to a dual - 4 drum system using an early 70's Jeep Master cylinder. He has a very well done writeup on it. I would suggest sending a Private Message (PM) to BRINO and he can furnish you with his writeup. I may have a copy somewhere but he deserves the credit for it and can answer questions for you.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree with Tim that you should try to contact Brino. It can be done with some finesse and fabrication work. The key is finding enough space under the floor for the booster while maintaining the position of the pivot rod for the clutch and brake pedals.

The adapter brackets from Chev of the 40's are for non-boosted dual circuit master cylinders. They do provide the proper support for the pivot rod for the clutch and brake pedals.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"I would suggest sending a Private Message (PM) to BRINO and he can furnish you with his writeup."

Good morning Tim and Rusty.

He did contact me and I can share what I learned doing my own tandem MC conversion. He has lots of options, including a remote booster that some vehicles used in the past.

It's fun participating in these "outside the box" projects.

Ray W

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

Brino

I was thinking of using a remote booster for my 48 Fleetmaster as Some European cars used it with Good results.
Is there in the present market a booster that should work? ( the ones from older European cars were made for smaller brake cylinders so they should not have enough volume for the bigger Chevrolet ones) !
Thank you again.

Jianis driving driving

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

I found a 7" brake booster with a dual MC with should fit under my cab. It makes a difference if you have a steer or floor shift. This setup won’t work with a steer shift due to the levers. Additionally you need a modified transmission crossmember. I ordered this set at performanceonline.com. For convenience also a remote filling set.

I also found a 1:4 remote booster suitable for my 3100 truck from a Dutch supplier, Only this is a single line booster and my goal was a dual line system.

Thanks for all your help, especially Brino, who send me a very detailed description.

@ Jianis, send me a private mail if you want the address from the Dutch supplier.

'48 Chevrolet 3100 Thriftmaster
'66 GMC 1500 stepside
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you message send!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.