Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by m006840
Bill39568 posting photos direct is limited to VCCA members and it's a manual process for the moderators to approve and change settings. Non members need to either add a link or have someone that has direct posting authorization submit them.

Ok makes sense. I also thought I just didn’t have enough posts to be able to put up a picture.

44 Canadian 1/2 ton
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Bill39568
I’d like to know what’s needed to post photos from my iphone? Only choice I have is URL code, how do I get that? Any other forum I’m on just has the picture icon and automatically takes me to my pictures to select what I want. It is a drag that it’s more steps I’m assuming here as I’m sure more photos might pop up from other members with things to share?

The chat site is set up for use on a computer. The admin/board has chosen to not run a mobile version that I am aware of. I occasionally browse the site on my phone when trapped in a doctor's office, etc but it's a desktop view so is ugly and awkward on a phone as it's really meant for a computer. After a couple decades of working in an IT environment, I won't waste brain cells messing with things like this on a phone unless there is a specific app meant for the site.

If a phone app is what you'd like, contact admin as they may not see this thread.

What I do use an iPhone for is taking my pictures. I then email them to myself and iPhone asks me what size so I choose a size just under the 2MB limit for this site. I save them to computer and then attach them to the thread from there.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

You know for as easy as you all say it is to post pictures , maybe someone can explain why most , if not all parts for sale have no pictures or an email address to get pictures .

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It is my opinion that the site needs reviewing and updating both for ease of use and security. For example when registering to use the site a location can be as simple as listing only the country. Perhaps the administrator can identify the user by an IP address but it leaves anyone else guessing. At least an Email address and phone number should be required so the one timers that ask questions and then fail to find their way back could be contacted. As far as posting photos I am still looking for where the instructions are listed . Though I am able to do so it seems that almost all newcomers have to ask and then are advised it is a benefit for members only and others need to add a link in their post. It might help to have a place where all the rules and regulations are posted along with the do's and dont's . Separating the technical forums from the non-technical might help keep the forums on the track they are set up for. Then those that want to Chat and BS can do so while those looking for technical help can get it without wading thru all the nonsense posted that is not pertinent to their question. Entertainment is great but when you have a frustrating problem you are trying to solve it can be aggravating , especially if someone has taken the time to do some research and posted a detailed response only to have the next poster come along and add nothing but nonsense because he thinks it's entertaining or disagrees with your post.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by joemac
You know for as easy as you all say it is to post pictures , maybe someone can explain why most , if not all parts for sale have no pictures or an email address to get pictures .

Usually larger, better quality pictures can be exchanged via email than can be posted on the forum. The ads are generally "quick and dirty" and these ads are few and far between (likely less than one per month).

Email addresses, phone #'s and personal details should never be visible in a post on an open forum as it's just an invitation for spam and getting your info sold on aggressive marketing lists. Sellers can be contacted through PM (private message) or if you are a member you can view the seller's full contact information.

Other than a few of us posting some photo info, I don't think there has ever been any official instructions from any Admin. I like your ideas on some support type documents Steve.

Last edited by canadiantim; 01/12/20 09:29 PM.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I understand regarding personal info in a post however there needs to be some way to contact a person requesting help. For example a post by someone requesting info on a Maple Leaf truck has three replies but the OP has not returned to the site since his original post on Dec. 30. VCCA members have the option of allowing other members to view or not their info on the VCCA home page. Unfortunately I am finding myself not bothering to reply to such post as it's often a waste of time. I think only VCCA members have access to seller info if the seller is another VCCA member and many sellers are not.

Steve D
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Just got a call requesting some clarity on posting photos.
(Any questions NOT related to posting photos require the OWN THREAD please!)

Posting photos as a member is EASY as many have stated above.

Posting Photos:
---Us the full editor.
---Click "Attachment Manager"
---Click "Select a file to attach"
---Find your photo
---Click "Done"
---BOOM YOUR PHOTO IS POSTED!

Yes, photos need to be smaller than 2mb for a very logical reason! The forum currently takes over 30gb of storage. For now increasing the size limit would increase storage needs and costs. We have a 100mb limit but need extra space for backups, testing etc. The club may chose in the future to increase those costs, but for now 2mg is PLENTY BIG for a photo. See the attached. Its only .2mg. (1/10 the size and its TOO BIG!)

Yes, you need to reduce the size of your photos yourself. Its up to you to learn how to do that using your own computer. if you'd like an online solution see: https://www.img2go.com/compress-image

Attached Images
1932-Chevrolet-Coupe-1-e1541920704988.jpg

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I can get a brand new 2TB external hard drive for under $40. If that's all that it takes to increase the size of photos I'll buy one and donate it.

Last edited by Tiny; 01/13/20 05:13 PM.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Tiny,
It's not that simple.

memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic

memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Peter,

I appreciate the information but I understand all that. The problem is the 2MB that you say is not the Club's responsibility but the member's. Well, seems to me that someone with standing to do so, set up the process that restricted the MBs to just two (2) Goodness how about 2 and a quarter (1/4)..

Speaking for all us cyber illiterate members, I would like to ask that the stinkin MBs be increased to whatever will permit us to post pictures without going through all the migamaroll for re-sizing the our pictures. When we send in a picture to be processed and it is kicked back at us, we don't even know how many MBs we were over the limit. It is just a bunch of fig newtons to me.

If something is all screwed up, it is always easier to dump the problem on someone else. In this case the members.

Please get ahold of the person with standing, which none of usems lowly members have, and have them fix the problem. This source of the instant perpetual frustration has gone on long enough. Hire a teenager (yes, about 13 years of age would work) and give them 50 bucks to fix the problem. Let me know as soon as they put things right (a few nano-seconds) and I send in the 50 bucks. Gladly!

If this is considered more carping, then so be it.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I appreciate all you do to make the Club even better as the years pass. Do too!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Here is a link to a posting that I made almost 6 years ago.

It points you to a FREE program what lets you easily change the size of a photo. By "size" I mean the storage size.
I just checked and the program now has another upgrade - but is still FREE.

I use this program a lot. Over the past 15 years, camera's have continued to increase their photo resolution many fold. It is common now for cameras to default to 12 megs for a standard storage size. This is up from 1 and 2 megs of years ago. (and even 300 px before that). I can tell you that a 12 meg photo is NOT NECESSARY unless you want to print 24" X 36" posters. 99% of all people should modify their camera settings to REDUCE the resolution. Something around 2400 pix is more than enough. This might be listed as 1.5 - 2 meg. The truth is that a photo posted on the web only needs to be 72 pixels!!!!

Final word, if you "could" post a 12 meg photo, then it consumes at least SIX times the amount of space needed to view or print via a web site such as Chat.

Go here to get this FREE tool. Yes, it will take you a couple of minutes to figure out how to use it. But once you do that, you'll be able to take control of your web life. (and this is also the "app" that a bunch of guys used "back then" to make their profile pictures low--res.) Enjoy.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/310738/posting-photos-here-read-this.html

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks BB,,

That now sounds like a suitable explanation and solution.

I will see if my son can take me through the process and if successful then coach me over and over until I learn it.

I miss your sound advice on things Chevrolet and the instant explanation of the reason for the 2MB..

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: As soon as I've caught on, I will let everyone know.

BTW2: A member from California called me to offer help. I was not at home owing to my brother-in-law's funeral. Dean, I appreciate the offer.

BTW3: You all will be relieved that I believe I have run this sucker to ground and anything to be gained by further complaining. I'm done on this subject. Can I get an AMEN? Agrin

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Ha ha.... Still Charlie being Charlie. Best of luck to you.

I've always thought that posting a photo to the Chat site was dyno-mite!!! And I concur that the size restriction is very annoying. And I've also seen some sites that actually accept your photo of any size, but THEY automatically resize it for you!!! It seems that our new hosting service should be able to do that. Time will tell.

Bill Barker
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It's resized now Bill. Upload a 2MB image and it'll be under 100KB after it's posted (at least that's what happens to mine). That's one reason I'm baffled at the upload restriction, it's downsized automatically anyway.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I find that I am constantly zooming in on photos to look at some minute detail that the OP hadn't intended when he/she took the photo. I have learned a lot from studying others photos that I would have had to waste peoples time by posting foolish questions like "was that a truss head screw, and did it have a washer under it?" "That rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column is that over or under the mat?" "is it normal for the clutch pedal to be lower than the brake pedal?" "the armor wrap around the wires to the ignition coil and power wire from the starter switch to the ammeter does it protrude through the small hole in the firewall? Is there a grommet?"
Anyway, I know this is not about how to post photos, however for what it's worth I would like to vote for more detail. (larger photos)

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
BB,

Thanks for a really thoughtful instant post.

As to the hosting service providing anything automatic regarding posting pictures, see below for what John Wayne may have said about that. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'm trying to upload a photo as a test but now the size limit is 3 bytes. No photo is that small.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Good comments by all..... even if there wasn't any car part mentioned. Ha!

Bill Barker
Tiny #437105 01/15/20 05:43 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes, 3 bytes is what it is telling me also. ??????

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I can't post one now either but I am not getting the 3bytes error, just this page is not available.

Looks like its back up

Attached Images
31 ins shot.jpg
Last edited by Dave39MD; 01/15/20 07:22 PM.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
test

Attached Images
test-e.jpg
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Peter fixed the 3 byte problem. Now, the picture below was uploaded at 1.19MB. It was automatically resized to 81KB by the forum software.

Attached Images
Sweetie Bridge.jpg
Last edited by Tiny; 01/15/20 08:46 PM.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Tiny #437113 01/15/20 07:34 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
TEST

Attached Images
IMG_5711.jpg IMG_5711.jpg
Tiny #437114 01/15/20 07:40 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I copied your picture to my desktop and it measured 629 kb.

Last edited by Bare_Feet; 01/15/20 07:43 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.