VCCA Home
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 01:38 PM
I have given up on the Club's figuring out how to make it easier to post photos. Mine always get kicked back on account of size or some other fig newtons. Go figure.

Anyhow, I see many of our members have figured it out and post pictures right regular. Some are spectacular! (See attached Seinfeld)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaW4MBwGhF0

If I had that posting thing all nailed down, I think I would share with the other member who are struggling to post and getting frustrated because no matter what the attempts gets kicked back. That situation gets back and that in turn creates bill which is bad for the digestive system and makes us angry. smash

So why is it such a secret how they do it. Why not share? beermugs The Club cannot or will not fix the problem freak, so how about sharing your secret with the rest of usems? Is it like the stories and pictures in the newspaper of someone proudly holding up a big large mouth bass and the note that it was caught at a private (read secret) fishing hole. nanana

Come on guys please, please share. clausk My pleas comes with sugar on it. Do too! Agrin

Thanks for listening to my rant. dance

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 02:04 PM
I use a digital camera set to low resolution and follow the instructions that have been discussed previously.
Posted By: canadiantim Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 02:16 PM
Posting is very, very easy. The photo size/resolution is the only thing you have to watch as Steve indicates.
It's way easier than Ebay and I've seen you post there.

I just took a picture (1938 Canadian Pontiac horn button that fits a Chevy Steering wheel), typed this and posted the picture, all in less than 2 minutes.

Do you use a computer or a tablet for posting? Do you have a cell phone, if so, what kind? What are you using to take pictures?

Attached picture IMG_0335.JPG
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 03:55 PM
It could be a bit easier if the size restriction was raised. The images are automatically reduced to a tiny size anyway so storage costs are no argument. Tim, I'll wager your picture was far larger when you uploaded it than the 67K it is now. Over on Stovebolt we have a 5MB upload size limit and rarely get upload complaints. What upload complaints we do get usually have to do with the process rather than size limits.
Posted By: dens41 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 04:14 PM
I use an IPad to take pictures and tried to post to my add, I was able to get the pictures small enough but when I tried to post them to the ad all that would come up was the jpeg. When I tried to post a picture to my avatar I went to a web site that Keith had posted he used and was able to get it small enough but could not get it from that site to the chat site, finally said #### it wasn’t worth the hassle.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 04:19 PM
More that took place just minutes ago.

Mike telephones Bruce (just made up names. Not relative to any of our friends here no the Chat)

Bruce: "Hey, Mike, I think maybe Charlie has a point. But I don't know about sharing our secrets of how to get around the photo sharing bottle neck. What do you think."

Mike: "Bruce, we are among the smart ones who have figured out how to post photos. So why should be have to show our secret. It makes us look a heap smarter than our lessees."

Bruce: "Yeah, but the Club may make us show our secrets."

Mike: "Secrets? We don't got no secrets. We don't need no secrets. We don't have to show them no stinkin' secrets! (see The Treasure of Seirra Madre "Badges.") beermugs

Bruce: "Well, I just want to do the right thing here."

Mike: "You lilly livered polecat!" Hangs up. Agrin

See what I mean?

Best,

Charlie computer

Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 04:34 PM
I can't comment on the nonsense above but I just took three photos and will post them in the Parts Wanted Forum.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 04:40 PM
Well it looks like it took me all of four minutes to post the photos and post. Not bad since I don't even know how to post an "emoji" .
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 06:05 PM
It takes me awhile. I open the photo on my PC using the "paint" program and then resize it usually to about 40% and save it to my desktop. Then I check it by right clicking on the image and select properties and verify that it is less than 1 meg. If it is ok then I use the full editor and attachment manager on this site to attach the photo. As I said it takes me awhile and if I use the phone to take the picture I have to remember how to send it to my computer (I seldom do it). I'm anxious to see how to simplify the process.

Attached picture test-e.jpg
Posted By: canadiantim Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 06:14 PM
Charlie, you didn't provide any details to my questions. We may be able to help if we know what you have for devices...

Yes, the 5MB size would really help here Tiny as it confuses people. I think my photo was about 700kb before getting shrunk further by the software. What's the easiest way to flag Peter to this post to see what could be done to increase photo sizes?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 07:16 PM
I started a simular discussion before to no avail. https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/428517/why-are-pictures-resized.html#Post428517
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/05/20 07:45 PM
You can try Emailing this thread to: memberservices@vcca.org although I received no reply the last two times I forwarded a thread to Peter with questions regarding policy and procedure. Good luck.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/06/20 12:42 PM
The times I sent some photographs, I had help from my grandaughter. She thought it was simple. Go figure.

As to the instant case of learning from you all, I appreciate the efforts but I'm as confused as ever. Thet resizing stuff just seems like rocket science.

I'll just wait for the Club to make it simpler.

Thanks everyone. I have given up. Again.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: My sincere apologies to Bruce and Mike. whoever they are. Agrin
Posted By: p.k. Re: Photograph Posting - 01/06/20 03:40 PM
Sorry Charlie, I think Death will arrive before on a black horse !
hood
Posted By: joemac Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 05:20 AM
Sure is a shame that it is so hard to post pictures , ebay sure makes it easy !!! Would love to offer some stuff up here .Actually have sold stuff here in the past but it shouldnt be so tough .Not doing members any favours ...
Posted By: canadiantim Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 02:35 PM
But it is not hard to post pictures here. It is very easy.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 06:32 PM
I think it would be helpful for those having a problem posting photos to reply to the posters asking questions.
Posted By: Jonjet Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 06:56 PM
Posting pictures used to be hard but it is not now, very simple. If I can do it, anybody can do it!
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 07:37 PM
Here's the how-to. It's a link to another site that uses the same software. The only difference is the size limitation of the uploaded picture.

How to post photos.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 08:41 PM
Thanks to all who offer help.

Tiny is probably right on.

As for me I have chased this rabbit over hills and over dells long enough. I have quit trying. To do so only invites more frustration.

The Club knows about this but owing to some having success has turned a blind eye to the rest of us. Seems they could attack this stinking size problem and fix it. But after so many years of with their heads in the sand, I'm thinking they may have caught sight of some fresh turnip roots down there. Who knows.

You all take no mind of me. In July I'll be 86 and soon be gone. Who gives a crap if the Club ignores my appeals.

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/08/20 10:55 PM
Charlie you have ignored my post above and Canadian Tims post requesting information. You have not given the information requested yet continue to crab about the process . It is not rocket science if I can do it but blaming others will not help. If you do not provide/answer the questions asked we can not help.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Photograph Posting - 01/09/20 03:49 AM
I see no problem posting photos if you have the size correct on your phone or camera. What is the correct size needed?
Posted By: Bill39568 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/10/20 04:26 PM
I’d like to know what’s needed to post photos from my iphone? Only choice I have is URL code, how do I get that? Any other forum I’m on just has the picture icon and automatically takes me to my pictures to select what I want. It is a drag that it’s more steps I’m assuming here as I’m sure more photos might pop up from other members with things to share?
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Photograph Posting - 01/10/20 06:11 PM
I think it has been said before but when I take pictures with my phone I email them to myself so I can detach and save in my computer. Something in that process makes them the acceptable size since they always take on this site. Seems like extra steps but it works.

Dave

Picture added to make sure it still worked.

Attached picture little ds.jpg
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/11/20 12:40 AM
Bill39568 posting photos direct is limited to VCCA members and it's a manual process for the moderators to approve and change settings. Non members need to either add a link or have someone that has direct posting authorization submit them.
Posted By: Bill39568 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/11/20 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by m006840
Bill39568 posting photos direct is limited to VCCA members and it's a manual process for the moderators to approve and change settings. Non members need to either add a link or have someone that has direct posting authorization submit them.

Ok makes sense. I also thought I just didn’t have enough posts to be able to put up a picture.
Posted By: canadiantim Re: Photograph Posting - 01/11/20 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bill39568
I’d like to know what’s needed to post photos from my iphone? Only choice I have is URL code, how do I get that? Any other forum I’m on just has the picture icon and automatically takes me to my pictures to select what I want. It is a drag that it’s more steps I’m assuming here as I’m sure more photos might pop up from other members with things to share?

The chat site is set up for use on a computer. The admin/board has chosen to not run a mobile version that I am aware of. I occasionally browse the site on my phone when trapped in a doctor's office, etc but it's a desktop view so is ugly and awkward on a phone as it's really meant for a computer. After a couple decades of working in an IT environment, I won't waste brain cells messing with things like this on a phone unless there is a specific app meant for the site.

If a phone app is what you'd like, contact admin as they may not see this thread.

What I do use an iPhone for is taking my pictures. I then email them to myself and iPhone asks me what size so I choose a size just under the 2MB limit for this site. I save them to computer and then attach them to the thread from there.
Posted By: joemac Re: Photograph Posting - 01/12/20 11:57 PM

You know for as easy as you all say it is to post pictures , maybe someone can explain why most , if not all parts for sale have no pictures or an email address to get pictures .
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 01:11 AM
It is my opinion that the site needs reviewing and updating both for ease of use and security. For example when registering to use the site a location can be as simple as listing only the country. Perhaps the administrator can identify the user by an IP address but it leaves anyone else guessing. At least an Email address and phone number should be required so the one timers that ask questions and then fail to find their way back could be contacted. As far as posting photos I am still looking for where the instructions are listed . Though I am able to do so it seems that almost all newcomers have to ask and then are advised it is a benefit for members only and others need to add a link in their post. It might help to have a place where all the rules and regulations are posted along with the do's and dont's . Separating the technical forums from the non-technical might help keep the forums on the track they are set up for. Then those that want to Chat and BS can do so while those looking for technical help can get it without wading thru all the nonsense posted that is not pertinent to their question. Entertainment is great but when you have a frustrating problem you are trying to solve it can be aggravating , especially if someone has taken the time to do some research and posted a detailed response only to have the next poster come along and add nothing but nonsense because he thinks it's entertaining or disagrees with your post.
Posted By: canadiantim Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by joemac
You know for as easy as you all say it is to post pictures , maybe someone can explain why most , if not all parts for sale have no pictures or an email address to get pictures .

Usually larger, better quality pictures can be exchanged via email than can be posted on the forum. The ads are generally "quick and dirty" and these ads are few and far between (likely less than one per month).

Email addresses, phone #'s and personal details should never be visible in a post on an open forum as it's just an invitation for spam and getting your info sold on aggressive marketing lists. Sellers can be contacted through PM (private message) or if you are a member you can view the seller's full contact information.

Other than a few of us posting some photo info, I don't think there has ever been any official instructions from any Admin. I like your ideas on some support type documents Steve.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 02:14 AM
I understand regarding personal info in a post however there needs to be some way to contact a person requesting help. For example a post by someone requesting info on a Maple Leaf truck has three replies but the OP has not returned to the site since his original post on Dec. 30. VCCA members have the option of allowing other members to view or not their info on the VCCA home page. Unfortunately I am finding myself not bothering to reply to such post as it's often a waste of time. I think only VCCA members have access to seller info if the seller is another VCCA member and many sellers are not.
Posted By: Peter_Gariepy Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 08:40 PM
Just got a call requesting some clarity on posting photos.
(Any questions NOT related to posting photos require the OWN THREAD please!)

Posting photos as a member is EASY as many have stated above.

Posting Photos:
---Us the full editor.
---Click "Attachment Manager"
---Click "Select a file to attach"
---Find your photo
---Click "Done"
---BOOM YOUR PHOTO IS POSTED!

Yes, photos need to be smaller than 2mb for a very logical reason! The forum currently takes over 30gb of storage. For now increasing the size limit would increase storage needs and costs. We have a 100mb limit but need extra space for backups, testing etc. The club may chose in the future to increase those costs, but for now 2mg is PLENTY BIG for a photo. See the attached. Its only .2mg. (1/10 the size and its TOO BIG!)

Yes, you need to reduce the size of your photos yourself. Its up to you to learn how to do that using your own computer. if you'd like an online solution see: https://www.img2go.com/compress-image

Attached picture 1932-Chevrolet-Coupe-1-e1541920704988.jpg
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 09:11 PM
I can get a brand new 2TB external hard drive for under $40. If that's all that it takes to increase the size of photos I'll buy one and donate it.
Posted By: Peter_Gariepy Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 09:12 PM
Tiny,
It's not that simple.
Posted By: Peter_Gariepy Re: Photograph Posting - 01/13/20 10:38 PM
I've created a sticky post with basic instructions:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/436976/how-to-post-a-photo.html#Post436976
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/14/20 12:10 AM
Peter,

I appreciate the information but I understand all that. The problem is the 2MB that you say is not the Club's responsibility but the member's. Well, seems to me that someone with standing to do so, set up the process that restricted the MBs to just two (2) Goodness how about 2 and a quarter (1/4)..

Speaking for all us cyber illiterate members, I would like to ask that the stinkin MBs be increased to whatever will permit us to post pictures without going through all the migamaroll for re-sizing the our pictures. When we send in a picture to be processed and it is kicked back at us, we don't even know how many MBs we were over the limit. It is just a bunch of fig newtons to me.

If something is all screwed up, it is always easier to dump the problem on someone else. In this case the members.

Please get ahold of the person with standing, which none of usems lowly members have, and have them fix the problem. This source of the instant perpetual frustration has gone on long enough. Hire a teenager (yes, about 13 years of age would work) and give them 50 bucks to fix the problem. Let me know as soon as they put things right (a few nano-seconds) and I send in the 50 bucks. Gladly!

If this is considered more carping, then so be it.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I appreciate all you do to make the Club even better as the years pass. Do too!
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: Photograph Posting - 01/14/20 05:28 AM
Here is a link to a posting that I made almost 6 years ago.

It points you to a FREE program what lets you easily change the size of a photo. By "size" I mean the storage size.
I just checked and the program now has another upgrade - but is still FREE.

I use this program a lot. Over the past 15 years, camera's have continued to increase their photo resolution many fold. It is common now for cameras to default to 12 megs for a standard storage size. This is up from 1 and 2 megs of years ago. (and even 300 px before that). I can tell you that a 12 meg photo is NOT NECESSARY unless you want to print 24" X 36" posters. 99% of all people should modify their camera settings to REDUCE the resolution. Something around 2400 pix is more than enough. This might be listed as 1.5 - 2 meg. The truth is that a photo posted on the web only needs to be 72 pixels!!!!

Final word, if you "could" post a 12 meg photo, then it consumes at least SIX times the amount of space needed to view or print via a web site such as Chat.

Go here to get this FREE tool. Yes, it will take you a couple of minutes to figure out how to use it. But once you do that, you'll be able to take control of your web life. (and this is also the "app" that a bunch of guys used "back then" to make their profile pictures low--res.) Enjoy.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/310738/posting-photos-here-read-this.html

Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/14/20 11:59 AM
Thanks BB,,

That now sounds like a suitable explanation and solution.

I will see if my son can take me through the process and if successful then coach me over and over until I learn it.

I miss your sound advice on things Chevrolet and the instant explanation of the reason for the 2MB..

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: As soon as I've caught on, I will let everyone know.

BTW2: A member from California called me to offer help. I was not at home owing to my brother-in-law's funeral. Dean, I appreciate the offer.

BTW3: You all will be relieved that I believe I have run this sucker to ground and anything to be gained by further complaining. I'm done on this subject. Can I get an AMEN? Agrin
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: Photograph Posting - 01/14/20 10:17 PM
Ha ha.... Still Charlie being Charlie. Best of luck to you.

I've always thought that posting a photo to the Chat site was dyno-mite!!! And I concur that the size restriction is very annoying. And I've also seen some sites that actually accept your photo of any size, but THEY automatically resize it for you!!! It seems that our new hosting service should be able to do that. Time will tell.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/14/20 11:06 PM
It's resized now Bill. Upload a 2MB image and it'll be under 100KB after it's posted (at least that's what happens to mine). That's one reason I'm baffled at the upload restriction, it's downsized automatically anyway.
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 12:20 AM
I find that I am constantly zooming in on photos to look at some minute detail that the OP hadn't intended when he/she took the photo. I have learned a lot from studying others photos that I would have had to waste peoples time by posting foolish questions like "was that a truss head screw, and did it have a washer under it?" "That rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column is that over or under the mat?" "is it normal for the clutch pedal to be lower than the brake pedal?" "the armor wrap around the wires to the ignition coil and power wire from the starter switch to the ammeter does it protrude through the small hole in the firewall? Is there a grommet?"
Anyway, I know this is not about how to post photos, however for what it's worth I would like to vote for more detail. (larger photos)
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 11:46 AM
BB,

Thanks for a really thoughtful instant post.

As to the hosting service providing anything automatic regarding posting pictures, see below for what John Wayne may have said about that. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 05:01 PM
I'm trying to upload a photo as a test but now the size limit is 3 bytes. No photo is that small.
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 06:31 PM
Good comments by all..... even if there wasn't any car part mentioned. Ha!
Posted By: ruscar Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 09:43 PM
Yes, 3 bytes is what it is telling me also. ??????
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 10:39 PM
I can't post one now either but I am not getting the 3bytes error, just this page is not available.

Looks like its back up

Attached picture 31 ins shot.jpg
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 10:54 PM
test

Attached picture test-e.jpg
Posted By: Tiny Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 11:09 PM
Peter fixed the 3 byte problem. Now, the picture below was uploaded at 1.19MB. It was automatically resized to 81KB by the forum software.

Attached picture Sweetie Bridge.jpg
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 11:34 PM
TEST

Attached picture IMG_5711.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5711.jpg
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 11:40 PM
I copied your picture to my desktop and it measured 629 kb.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Photograph Posting - 01/15/20 11:42 PM
Mercy! and heavens to Betsy!

I didn't think it worked the first time so I tried it again. Low and behold, it worked,

Only thing is it's kind of small. Getting it bigger would be just wonderful!

I just can't believe it,

Miracles do happen. Do too!

Charlie computer

Posted By: tonyw Re: Photograph Posting - 01/16/20 06:27 AM
Charlie
If that is your car it looks good for a 41 but I will stick to my incomplete 38
Tony
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: Photograph Posting - 01/26/21 07:43 PM
I use the Paint program that comes with Windows. I looked at Paint 3D and it is not intuitive at all.

If you click on the Windows square in the lower left corner of the desktop and scroll down to the Windows Accessories, you will find the Paint program. If it is not there, I suspect that Paint was replaced with Paint 3D on your computer.

If you do have it, right click on it and you can Pin it to Start, thus making it easier to find another time.

Open Paint and Open your image in it. Along the top tool bar, you'll see the Resize icon. I always choose to resize by percentage. Change the percentage to, let's say 50%. Then do a Save as.. and change the filename so your original file is left alone. Something like 1938-1-small.jpg.

Then go to the new file on your desktop, right click on it, and choose to look at its properties. There you will see the file's size. To post it on VCCA, you need that number to be under 2M (2 megabytes).

Repeat the above process until you get the size you want and then you can put it on the VCCA server.

Hope this helps! Dean
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: Photograph Posting - 01/27/21 03:26 AM

Is it not great to have a member like Rustoholic on our Forum? Not only is he very wise, but quickly shares his help anywhere needed. I'm sure he is very underpaid.

devil Agrin
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum