Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle when depressing the clutch pedal on a 1933 Master Coupe? I have adjusted the clutch and replaced the clutch pedal return spring with no luck in eliminating the rattle. I am hoping I will not need to remove the clutch pressure plate and friction disk to fix this. It looks pretty involved to replace this clutch. Any advise will sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Darn, I was really hoping someone could give me some advise about this rattle in the clutch pedal linkage. I will keep checking this thread periodically. I'm at a loss as to how get fix this.
Thanks,
Dennis

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Is the throwout bearing a carbon block that may be broken? If you can find a helper with a stethoscope you may be able to narrow down where the sound is coming from and wether it is mechanical in nature or a vibration being set up.

J Franklin
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I haven't had the clutch assembly apart. So I don't know anything about the throwout bearing. I have the gas tank out of the car replacing the sending unit. When I get that all put together and the gas gauge working I will start on that clutch rattle.
It looks as though the whole clutch fork rattles a lot.
Thanks,
Dennis

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hey there Dennis,
I had a similar rattle and replaced the return spring on the outside of the clutch with a bigger spring and it held the arm very firm. Did not notice the extra force to use the clutch pedal, so have a go, its a very simple fix for an annoying rattle..

Last edited by blueyAU; 05/11/17 04:55 AM.

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
blueyAU,
Mine only rattles while pushing in the clutch pedal, or holding the clutch pedal to the floor. With the car in gear and moving it works just fine. Does that still sound like yours did? AND it will only do it after I have driven it approximately 8 to 10 miles. It starts the noise only after it is completely warmed up. Are you talking about the clutch pedal return spring? I do have another return spring. So I will install it before doing anything more. Hopefully your suggestion will fix it. I am wondering if it could be the small springs that hold the throw-out bearing in place. I have never had the transmission out so I'm not too sure what it all looks like inside the clutch inspection cover. Thanks for this suggestion. It would sure be the easy fix.
Dennis

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I have a 1933 Chevrolet pickup that had a clutch fork rattle that I would not go away no matter how I adjusted it. Sometimes it wouldn't be there at first but it showed up during every drive at some point and I couldn't enjoy driving the truck with the rattle.
What we ended up doing is modifying a 1940 transmission front bearing retainer to fit the 1933 transmission. The 1940 retainer has a tube connected to the retainer that covers the main shaft of the transmission. The tube runs through the center of the clutch throughout bearing. This solved the problem. The tube does not allow enough movement in the throughout bearing to cause the chatter. I have never experience chatter since. An added benefit is we were able to better seal the front of the transmission. I know this is a modification to original but I can live with that but not the fork chatter.
Ernie

Last edited by EJOWest; 07/27/17 09:50 AM.

Northern California
1933 pickup
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ALWAYS NICE TO HEAR A PROBLEM SOLVED EASILY AND EFFECTIVELY.

MIKE hood

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.