VCCA Home
Posted By: Jonda1 Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 04/29/17 03:29 AM
Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle when depressing the clutch pedal on a 1933 Master Coupe? I have adjusted the clutch and replaced the clutch pedal return spring with no luck in eliminating the rattle. I am hoping I will not need to remove the clutch pressure plate and friction disk to fix this. It looks pretty involved to replace this clutch. Any advise will sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 05/02/17 04:32 AM
Darn, I was really hoping someone could give me some advise about this rattle in the clutch pedal linkage. I will keep checking this thread periodically. I'm at a loss as to how get fix this.
Thanks,
Dennis
Posted By: J Franklin Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 05/02/17 04:44 AM
Is the throwout bearing a carbon block that may be broken? If you can find a helper with a stethoscope you may be able to narrow down where the sound is coming from and wether it is mechanical in nature or a vibration being set up.
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 05/04/17 02:12 AM
I haven't had the clutch assembly apart. So I don't know anything about the throwout bearing. I have the gas tank out of the car replacing the sending unit. When I get that all put together and the gas gauge working I will start on that clutch rattle.
It looks as though the whole clutch fork rattles a lot.
Thanks,
Dennis
Posted By: blueyAU Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 05/11/17 08:54 AM
Hey there Dennis,
I had a similar rattle and replaced the return spring on the outside of the clutch with a bigger spring and it held the arm very firm. Did not notice the extra force to use the clutch pedal, so have a go, its a very simple fix for an annoying rattle..
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 05/13/17 01:48 AM
blueyAU,
Mine only rattles while pushing in the clutch pedal, or holding the clutch pedal to the floor. With the car in gear and moving it works just fine. Does that still sound like yours did? AND it will only do it after I have driven it approximately 8 to 10 miles. It starts the noise only after it is completely warmed up. Are you talking about the clutch pedal return spring? I do have another return spring. So I will install it before doing anything more. Hopefully your suggestion will fix it. I am wondering if it could be the small springs that hold the throw-out bearing in place. I have never had the transmission out so I'm not too sure what it all looks like inside the clutch inspection cover. Thanks for this suggestion. It would sure be the easy fix.
Dennis

Posted By: EJOWest Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 07/27/17 01:49 PM
I have a 1933 Chevrolet pickup that had a clutch fork rattle that I would not go away no matter how I adjusted it. Sometimes it wouldn't be there at first but it showed up during every drive at some point and I couldn't enjoy driving the truck with the rattle.
What we ended up doing is modifying a 1940 transmission front bearing retainer to fit the 1933 transmission. The 1940 retainer has a tube connected to the retainer that covers the main shaft of the transmission. The tube runs through the center of the clutch throughout bearing. This solved the problem. The tube does not allow enough movement in the throughout bearing to cause the chatter. I have never experience chatter since. An added benefit is we were able to better seal the front of the transmission. I know this is a modification to original but I can live with that but not the fork chatter.
Ernie
Posted By: mike_lynch Re: Annoying rattle in the clutch fork - 07/27/17 02:39 PM
ALWAYS NICE TO HEAR A PROBLEM SOLVED EASILY AND EFFECTIVELY.

MIKE hood
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum