Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi I bought my uncles 1927 Chevrolet pick up truck 3 wks ago. It has been stored in a barn for the past 60+years and it needs some work. My 14 yr old son and I am attempting to do some restoration and repairs on it. I have been attempting to find out more information on this year of truck. I have been able to find some information and found a reproduction repair manual online that I ordered, but have not received yet

I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. I am not a mechanic nor do I have any experience with this type of thing, but Im learning as I go. There are parts on here I have no idea what they are...

I have found already found some information off this site which has been very helpful. Especially in regards to the vacuum tank, which I took apart cleaned and reassembled. hopefully have resolved that problem.

I believe I need a new head gasket. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to order one?

I know my uncle did some work on it at some point, he replaced some of the wood on the box and my dad thinks he may have replaced the carburetor with a "Tillitson high speed"? one back in the 50's, but Im not sure. Other than that Im not sure what is original or not. If anyone has pictures or diagrams that they are willing to share that might be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Barb

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Get to know these websites https://www.fillingstation.com/
http://earlychevyparts.com/ http://www.marxparts.com/
you can get pretty much all parts for the 1927 motor just not carbs, heads, engine blocks etc all have to be used. But gaskets and tune up parts etc are all available.
I see you are in Mukwonago, Wi. If you ever find yourself in Port Washington I have 1927 Car and a 1928 Truck.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Barb,

Welcome to the wonderful world of old Chevys! This is definitely the place to ask your questions and get knowledgeable answers. If you post more info about your truck, we can help you identify it and give you more focused advice.

For example, what is printed on the Car ID plate, if it still exists? What are the casting numbers on the side of the engine? Also, do you have any pics that we can see?

Here is a thread that I think you'll want to read: Resurrecting a '27 Chevy

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello Barbj,

Congratulations, that is VERY cool you were able to get your Uncles old truck. These old 4 cylinder rigs are quite unique. Keep it original, once you work the bugs out of it you will find they are very reliable and dependable.

Another place for gaskets is Olsons Gaskets in Port Orchard WA. Their prices are reasonable.

When I was 17 I went back to my grandparents farm to see if I could get my uncles 37 chev coupe. The farm had sold. About a week before they had taken a D8 Cat and pushed all the old cars into a pile and run them over. It was so recent the Cat was still there. Probably the most rare one was what I think might have been a Martin Perry bodied 28 Plymouth depot hack.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 27 Chevy capitol AA car, not sure how much alike the engines are but If you need any help holla at me..

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for the information. I would assume your truck would be quite similar to mine :cool: and Id love to see it, dont get up that way too often though. maybe you could send a pic.

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Dean,

I was able to find a number on the engine T332033. where might I find the car ID plate?

Im having difficulty uploading a picture to this thread, dont know if Im doing something wrong?

I did find pictures of my truck on the internet while looking for information. This is a picture of my actual truck. I dont know how or why they photographed and published it but here it is
http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/c/carstimeforgot_2011photos03.php
http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/c/chevrolet080.jpg

My uncle was very proud of this truck but unfortunately he is now not in any condition to give us any information. I now wish I would have asked, but never thought Id buy it either.
Thank you for any information you might be able to tell me.

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by beachbum
Hello Barbj,

When I was 17 I went back to my grandparents farm to see if I could get my uncles 37 chev coupe. The farm had sold. About a week before they had taken a D8 Cat and pushed all the old cars into a pile and run them over.

Very sad.
My uncle had several old cars and the old truck. only two were left. this truck and his 1931 Chevy sedan when we found out my aunt was selling them... I bought the truck and my sister bought the car.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Barbj,

Great looking truck! From the pictures, I can tell you a few things about it:

1. I believe it is a 1927 Model LM 1 ton truck. The number of spokes on the wheels, the front profile of the radiator shell, the shape of the headlights, the headlight rims, and the fact that does not have brakes on the front wheels are all clues.

2. The engine block looks to be from 1927 because it does not have ribs for the pushrod covers, which were only in 1928. Since the engine block is not from 1928, this supports my theory of the whole truck being from 1927.

3. The engine head is from 1928 because of the two exhaust ports. The exhaust manifold is an aftermarket manifold that would've had sheet metal around it and fed hot air to a heat vent in the cab.

4. I think the cab is a stock cab made by Chevrolet.

5. The transmission is a 3 speed, which was standard for 1927. The lack of a reverse lockout lever is the clue. A 4-speed (which has the reverse lockout lever) was optional in '27 and standard for '28.

As for the ID plate, it might be nailed on the passenger side of the wood box that encircles the gas tank and also is the seat bottom support. When you open the passenger door, the ID plate should be in plain sight.

If the truck is in the same shape as in the photos, you are starting with a great, near stock truck! My druthers would to fix it mechaically, recover the seat, and drive it AS IS. It's only original once.

Being a 1 ton truck, it will go slower than the cars because of the high gear ratio in the rear axle. That's okay because this beast will not stop on a dime.

How do I know all this stuff? I have one! Although mine, Lurch, is nowhere near as in good shape as yours!

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 11/02/16 12:29 AM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Rustoholic
1. I believe it is a 1927 Model LM 1 ton truck. The number of spokes on the wheels, the front profile of the radiator shell, the shape of the headlights, the headlight rims, and the fact that does not have brakes on the front wheels are all clues.

THANK YOU Dean, This is exactly the type of information I was looking for! Im so happy to just know this.

I found the ID plate and it seems to confirm what you indicated. it reads "Manufactured by Chevrolet Motor Company division of General Motor Corporation. when writing mention Model CAPITAL car number 21LM 6911 carrying capacity 2000lbs"

The truck is about in the same condition, but had a lot more pigeon poop on it when I bought it. My uncle last ran it about 6-8 years ago. When it was going to go up for auction it wouldnt start, some friends of my uncles did a few "short cuts/bypasses" to get it to run just for the auction(not permanent). I am now trying to fix the problems.

mechanically this is what I know so far that needs repair.
1.needs all new tires,one will not hold any air
2.its leaking oil from the head gasket, The only gasket set Ive come across so far is "1927 » Chevrolet » AA Capitol 171-4cyl 103wb" Do you know if this will fit?
3.the radiator has a small leak,
4.a problem with the wiring, lights wont work and they had to run a wire direct from the battery to the thing just to the right of the distributor to get it started. (sorry Im not a mechanic and I havent gotten to that thing yet to learn what it is)dont laugh too hard. :)
5. Vacuum tank would not feed the carb. I couldnt find anything wrong with it, but there was a little, very little dirt in it. the valve under it was closed off though and possibly it needed a little prime? They hung a tank from the side of the truck so the carb would be feed by gravity.
6. Is there suppose to be a casket on the valve cover? or just that pad on the valves? or both? Mine just has the pad.

The upholstery is in rough shape, as you can see from the pictures. I would like to get that replaced but am not sure what type of material it is, it appears to be like a vinyl.

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Drlowz
I have a 27 Chevy capitol AA car, not sure how much alike the engines are but If you need any help holla at me..

THANK YOU!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
1) Tires are available online. I just purchased 4 for my truck. Mounting them is sort of a pain to do yourself. A busy tire shop should be able to mount them. I went to Tires Unlimited in Port Washington as they have a few guys working there who have been there 30 years so they have mounted these types of tires before and knew exactly what to do. But younger service technicians will have no clue.

2) I don’t think any “oil” travels through the head only coolant. So if “oil” is leaking from the head gasket it might just be dirty coolant or possibly oil that is blowing past the piston rings. Here is photo of my engine block with the head off when I was having it rebuilt last year.
[Linked Image from s25.postimg.org]
3) Try and save the honeycomb style radiator because they are about $1000. To replace. It is cheaper to replace with a modern style but they just don’t look the same without that old school honeycomb look. I have a leak in mine also and plan on figuring it out this winter and getting fixed someplace. (there is a guy in Juno WI who has and old school radiator shop who will solder and fix the old way)

4) Vacuum tank: if you have all the parts or almost all the parts the vaccum tanks can be rebuilt. There are a few people in the USA that will do this. (another think on my list of things to do) I currently and using a 6 volt electric fuel pump.

I actually drive my truck here it is when i pulled the motor to get rebuilt:

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi again,

More info about your truck. The car number (21LM 6911) does indeed confirm it is a 1927 LM.

The '21' means that it was assembled at the Janesville, WI plant. The '6911' means that the truck was number 5910 off the assembly line. The first off the assembly line was numbered 1001.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Didier
I actually drive my truck here it is when i pulled the motor to get rebuilt:

That is Awesome that you drive drive it, I cant wait to get to that point.

1. the tires say 6.0-20 on the front and 6.5-20 on the back. Is this the same as 600-20 and 650-20? I did see online. There was a tire changing tool I found behind the seat. Did you get the tubes on line as well?

2. good to know about the oil, that might be more than I can handle and I think I will need to seek the services of a professional for this part of it.

3.I will look up the guy you suggest in Juno, Im hoping to get the radiator out this weekend.

Thanks for your advice.

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Rustoholic
The '21' means that it was assembled at the Janesville, WI plant. The '6911' means that the truck was number 5910 off the assembly line. The first off the assembly line was numbered 1001.

I never expected to be able to find out this much information, this is great. Thank you.

I believe the original color was green as there is traces of it in the grain of the original wood. I believe the cab was repainted, but may have originally been green also.

DO you know what color the engine block would have been painted or if it was painted?

Last edited by Barbj; 11/02/16 07:55 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Here's where I make a pitch for you to join the VCCA. wink

One of the many benefits of joining the club is getting online access to more information.

For example, there is a Search function for this site where you can search for the original color information. Also, there are technical articles which explain a lot of stuff, like how to change a tire. Another online thingee is a 250 page flip book that describes in detail the rebuilding of a 1928 Chevy engine (it's called 'School's in Session'). Although your truck is from 1927, most of the information is pertinent.

After you join and get a member number, put that number in your profile. Then, one of the magic VCCA online elves will grant you access to all the member-only areas and functions.

Besides, you'll get a great, award winning monthly magazine.

Here's where you can sign up: VCCA signup page

It is well worth the yearly dues!

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 11/02/16 08:38 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Dean. I will check the membership out. Its great that those resources are available.

Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I did join, didnt get a number yet, possibly that will come in the welcome packet that Im being sent. I did see there were many files of information, that I started looking through.
Thanks again

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Your membership number is 52489. Will take a little time for you to receive your welcome packet. Let me welcome you to the VCCA in the mean time. I have also upgraded you to VCCA member so you now have the expanded privileges on Chevy Chatter.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
You should list your new VCCA number in your Chevy Chatter profile as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi again Barbj,

Welcome to the VCCA!! ;-)

Now that you have member privileges, you can take deep dives into the treasure trove of info on this site.

Here's a write-up about how to use the search function: Chatter Search Hints and Tips

For example, here are a couple of search critera that you might use to search in the 1912-1928 forum:

+1928 +engine +color

+1927 -engine +color +truck

Below is a picture of where the Resource Center is located. In there you'll find many, many focused articles and books about how to do stuff.

For example, under 1928 Engine Rebuild is Ray Holland's wonderful engine-rebuild tutorial and under Tires is a great article about changing tires on your 1 ton truck.

Have fun! Dean

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Last edited by Rustoholic; 06/18/18 11:48 AM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.