Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292838 11/01/13 07:13 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Replaced the original harmonic balancer on my 31 Phaeton with one that I removed from a 'wrecked' car. Old balancer was quiet at idle, the new balancer is noisy at idle (ugh!). 'New' balancer noise could possibly be caused by someone in the past removing/installing that balancer without 'bolting' the two halves together (as per user manual)before I found it.. I also have another 'spare' on the shelf. The original balancer looks different than the 'spare' on the back side as follows: On my original the springs that hold the two halves together are exposed and held in place by large washers, the washers are free to spin on the springs; they are 'loose', and they are located in a recessed area. (The 'looseness' is why I replaced the balancer) On the back side of my 'spare' balancer, the springs are not visible, there is a large metal cover that hides the four springs. Casting # on the front of the two balancers is identical, 836349. I just wonder if the original balancer with the 'loose' spring washers is safe for use on the car..., or if there was indeed several versions of the balancer used in 1931. Not looking forward to removing and installing balancer again. It took a lot of pounding to get it back onto the crank. My Phaeton is an early 31 with serial # xbae 1129, Vcca #18184

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The springs in the balancer should not be visible. The washers covered the holes and fit with some tension on the springs. It may be possible to use a press to reshape the washers so they fit snugly. If not the washers can be removed, reshaped and then replaced. Sometimes it can be reassembled by restaking the pins. Otherwise new pins can be made and then they can be staked in position.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You should not be hitting the balancer with anything. Use the correct tools : balancer remover and an installer tool.

mike Agrin

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the updates. Will definitely not reuse the original balancer due to the 'looseness'. Regarding the balancer installation tool, I have no idea what kind of tool that may be, I do see one in the instruction book, but am at a loss as to how this tool will work to press the balancer back onto the crank. I tried once using the manual crank bracket as the 'backdrop' for a press, but the bracket started bending. Appreciate info regarding the installation tool Thank you, Storaker

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A harmonic balancer installation tool is used to install small block chev balancers. The crank front is drilled and tapped , then a hardened stepped thread is screwed in the front of the crankshaft. The harmonic balancer is started on the crank , and then a large thrust bearing is put on followed by a large nut. The large nut is then tensioned to force the balancer onto the crank. I don't believe that they are long enough to use on early 6 cylinder engine due to the hooks on the balancer for the hand starting crank, but you could probably make one suitable ,and drill and tap the crank.

JACK
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
jack described perfectly what a harmonic balancer install tool is. I just used it Friday to re-install the balancer on my 350 Chevrolet.

Its actually an install set with quite a few different threaded adaptors on it. One end threads into the crankshaft, the other end threads into the large threaded bolt. This OTHER END is the same on each of the adaptors to go into the large bolt.
After you thread the adaptor and the large bolt assembly into the crankshaft. You place the kits bearing onto the large bolt. One side has ball bearings inside you can see and spins against the 1 1/4" large nut.

To install the balancer, feel for the keyway in the crankshaft, make sure everything is previously wiped clean, carefully rotate the balancers keyway to line up with the crankshaft. Push the balancer onto the crankshaft snout and install the threaded bolt assembly. Put the bearing and the large nut on and then start tightening the nut. The balancer will slowly slip correctly inwards and bottom out on the crankshaft. Then remove.

From there install your crankshaft harmonic retainer bolt and torque it too the correct number. You might want to use some blue Loctite on the threads so your bolt has less chance of becoming loose and backing out.

There should be harmonic balancer install tools li8sted and pictured on ebay USA. Or you can use your search engine and type in the info and come up with pictures of the tool. I imagine there is also a U TUBE video of it being used.

mike Agrin

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks again for info. I can not remember seeing threads inside the front hole in the crankshaft when I installed the balancer. I'll take a close look this time, with my reading glasses on! What you are describing makes a lot of sense as to how a balancer installation tool is used to press the balancer back onto the crank. Thank you again, Jo

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The crank may need to be drilled and tapped to the correct thread to suit the installer you select.

JACK
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It would be good to know how others are installing balancers. I have used the 3 lb. hammer and block of wood method with no problems, but if there is a better way it would be nice to know.

Steve D
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have used both and I feel that using the installation tool is the best way as the tool minimizes the possible damage to the crank, mains and rod bearings. Mine is an old set but has both a metric and NF bolt.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.