Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#274324 03/30/13 12:52 AM
TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm getting ready to install the subject tank on my car. The instructions say "cut radiator overflow pipe and connect 6 foot length of hose. . . .Pass hose thru radiator support, then along lower edge of side member and up between dash and battery. . . " Questions: what is the perferred way for the tube to exit the radiator support, since there is no hole in the side of the support; and what type of clips do you use to hold the tube to the side member? Thanks in advance. Alan

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
On my '48 I ran the over flow hose along with the heater hoses. I used the large clips from the heater hoses for support. I'll have to look at where I routed the hose from the radiator over to the heater hose clamp.

Member 45+ years, been around since the beginning !
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Is there a functional reason they tell you to cut off the overflow tube other than making it easier to install the hose ? I put my hose on the end of the tube and ran it along frame beside the brake line then up behind the battery.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

I followed the instruction as stated and all worked well..I would also question cutting the over flow pipe but I did as instructed

[Linked Image from i563.photobucket.com]

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Nice & neat firewall Bruce. I see you have not painted your battery caps yet. Is that the new battery you sent for ? How did it work out for you ? I see you also have windshield washers. Have you put water in and tried it? The first time I used mine it took me a while to figure out how to get them to stop spraying water. I finally woke up that I had to turn the wiper valve off momentarily to break the vacuum.
I just sent you a PM

Dick

TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the replies to the overflow tank install, but back to my original questions: How do you exit the radiator support since the illustration shows the tube disappearing down inside the support? Do you just jump over the edge of the support at the bottom and then along the brake lines? The instructions and illustration does not talk about or show this area.
Thanks again. Alan

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Alan,I did just as you suggested,just route it down the support and out the bottom..Here mine routed towards the tank

TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chef-Chevy for the pictures. Looks like about the only way to get the tube out of the radiator support. Thanks again, Alan

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.