Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mr87Monty
Mr87Monty
1941 Master Deluxe, 216 numbers indicate block made in 41. I do not know the history of the engine and took the valve cover off for the first time today. It was leaking allot of oil out of the valve cover so I and my sons planned to change it. Found it was cracked at all four corners. Also found all parts covered in oil under the valve cover. The line that the manual describes as 'oil distributer to rocker arm pipe' is cracked and not connected to the rocker arm piece / shaft. There is a wire that is holding on the return pipe, this too is not solidly connected to anything. We have but a few thousand miles on this since we put it on the road and other than burning / leaking allot of oil it has run ok.

How do we fix this?
What parts do we need?
What else should I be looking at knowing this occurred?
How much time should we plan to fix this? For use early to mid October is end of season.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Mr87Monty
Mr87Monty
Thanks for all of the advice. My son and I removed the front rocker shaft and replaced the oiler. There was enough line to make a connection above the head. Started the motor to check if everything worked and after a bit there was oil coming out of the holes in the top of the rockers. Could also see oil going back down the return.

Since the cover was off we let to car run to get the oil to temp to check and adjust the valves. Took a bit to do. Prior to the adjustment the valves were quieter but the engine did not seem to start or idle as well. It ticks now like a watch. We did find several of the valves needed to be tightened.

Did not get the valve cover back on yet. Spent the rest of the night looking at how things work. My oldest was interested in how the cap and rotor worked so we looked at it. Also watched how the rods moved the rockers etc. First time he saw the head open while running. Plan to double check everything and get the cover on next chance we get.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.