Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#480379 04/04/2023 3:03 PM
by Eli
Eli
Waiting for the rebuild kit to come in but getting a jump on disassembly and cleaning up, I popped one of the flapper valves off pretty easily, but the other looks like it is a forged grate from this side. I so far don't see how to get to it from the other side and rather than risk breaking something, I am hoping someone with experience can give me some pointers. I appreciate any advice.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#480609 Apr 13th a 12:23 AM
by marxparts
marxparts
The picture you provided of fuel pump cover shows that you have the aftermarket or later style cover with pressed in check valves. The original AC fuel pumps had a leaf spring or retainer with 1 or 2 screws that held the check valves in place with gaskets. If the fuel pump kit you purchased has original size outside diameter check valves, then the new check valves will probably fall into the holes as the later pressed in check valves are slightly larger in outside diameter. To get these pressed in check valve out, I use a small slide hammer with a special end that threads into the center of the check valve once the cross bars are broken out.

Mike is a great fellow and if he is willing to send you an original fuel pump, I would go for it.

I rebuild fuel pumps and this is what they look like when I get done with one. See attached pictures.
Attached Images
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.