Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Ed_Osier, GoodtimeCharlie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#479565 03/13/2023 3:48 PM
by cabboy
cabboy
I figured this would be the best place as it is pretty specific. I am planning on continuing work on the wood for a 1929 Sedan and a 1929 Cabriolet body later this summer. At the same time I could make additional pieces if anyone needs. A number of parts are common across the body styles so depending on what parts you need I may be able to supply. Anyone interested can PM me with needs and for contact info.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#479599 Mar 14th a 10:06 PM
by cabboy
cabboy
Originally Posted by GoodtimeCharlie
I’m not sure if they’re the same but, if the main sills are the same for a sport coupe would you be willing to just trace one for me and mail it to me? Mine were so rotten I couldn’t get a usable template to make some. It’s been over a year with no luck if anyone willing or able to even do that. I would obviously pay to have them sent and probably be able to compensate for the paper/time.
Thanks.
I appreciate the request but I will not be taking time to trace or make patterns of any of the wood for these cars. I will be making for the cars stated and am only offering to make extras as I get to each individual piece. I am not a parts supplier and usually only re-wood bodies brought to me.
The coupe main sills are essentially the same as other closed cars with the location of the "B" pillar being different and no cutout for the dogleg for 4 door Sedans.
Regards.
1 member likes this
#479602 Mar 14th a 11:41 PM
by Chistech
Chistech
No offense to anyone out there but there are some of us who’ve taken a lot of time, effort, and money to learn about these old cars. We’ve worked hard to perfect what we do, and some, have taken what we’ve learned and gone into business fabricating things from wood, springs, to rubber parts. I used to take a lot of my time up helping others and often when they were stuck on a piece, I would offer to make it for them. I know my time was well appreciated and I enjoy helping others but I can tell you more often than not, those people would say that I wanted too much money for the item and then the conversation would stop right there.
I don’t think most realize the amount of time alone it takes to make wood pieces AND make them CORRECT, never mind picking out and getting the correct wood for the item. I machined a mold for a pedal surround myself that I had quoted to three machine shops from $8000 to $12000! Now when I tell someone the finished piece from that mold is $275, a price quite a bit cheaper than a well known rubber parts manufacturer charges, if they even sold it but they don’t, they say I’m crazy. I’ve been asked if I can make paper drawings of my patterns and send them and I’m sorry, I just don’t answer anymore.
Cabboy politely replied why he couldn’t supply a paper pattern but one has to realize he’s running a business and making a livelihood from his expertise. I myself have graduated from this old car hobby to a business and I’m very busy. There are very few people making car wood these days and even fewer getting the wood done in a respectable amount of time. I am currently close to finishing a complete rewooding and sheet metal restoration of a 32 Oldsmobile convertible roadster that I started in August of 22. I have about a month left to go on a very extensively rotted car. The wood work barely covers half the time it’s taken so far and I can guarantee that many people just wanting a complete wood kit will wait 4-5 years just for the wood from a few other suppliers. There is a reason things cost what they do and more than not, it’s the time you’re paying for. The owner of this 32 Olds was ecstatic that I even agreed to take the car because of its poor condition but he’s even more ecstatic at its restoration. Sorry for the rant. Here’s a link to the body restoration. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/385214-1932-canadian-oldsmobile-dcr/page/3/#comment-2503431
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.