Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Part16john
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#472907 08/09/2022 5:40 PM
by Part16john
Part16john
I’ve noticed on my 32 that when I drive it for 30 minutes or so and then stop for a few minutes when I start the engine again after stopping for a short time the oil pressure stays at 0. What is causing the pressure to not go up after the car is warm, bad pump? When cold starting there is no problem with pressure. Pressure reads 5-7 idle after warm and 10ish while driving after warm. When cool it will kick up to 15 or so. It’s only after running and then stopping and restarting do I see an issue. I attached a pic of recent oil level, pressure and the pump. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#476121 Nov 15th a 06:50 PM
by Bare_Feet
Bare_Feet
I have The Filling Station gear pump on my 29 and it works great with more pressure than needed.
1 member likes this
#476013 Nov 12th a 10:23 PM
by Chipper
Chipper
None of the early engines need much flow or pressure as they don't have highly loaded bearings or bushings or need oil to help cool the engine.

The 4 cylinder engines have a solid part of the rod cap that passes through the trough to produce an oil mist that lubricates cylinder walls, wrist pins, rings and rod bearings, etc. The oil flow just fills the troughs and reservoirs that gravity feed oil to the main bearings. The valve train is lubricated manually by oil can.

In the early 6s rod dippers produce a little flow to the rod bearings but more important is the mist to lube pistons, rings etc. A little pressure is needed to lube the valve train.

99.44 % of the advise you get on oil pressure is from people with experience with more modern higher horsepower engines. Producing higher oil flow and pressure takes horsepower from engines that don't have excessive amounts.
1 member likes this
#476011 Nov 12th a 09:22 PM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
the 1929 needs very little pressre as no parts get full pressre so all it needs is volumn.
The 1932 gets full pressure to main bearings only.
The gear type pump produces a more steady flow according to Chevrolet.
1 member likes this
#476008 Nov 12th a 08:34 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
the one at TFS is the NEW Billy Possum (C&P Automotive Oil Pump)
It is a NEW pump built for these cars, great flow and more pressure (think around 10psi @ idle then 25 psi @ cruising speed), even though it is NOT needed.

everyone says they are great pumps

i rebuilt the original single vane oil pump in my 1929 which is a 1 year application. I get around 5 psi cruising and tons of flow, which is what the older inline 6 needs @!! pressure is irrelevant flow is critical.

1929 oil pump @ 400rpm

1929 oil pump @ 1200rpm
1 member likes this
#476001 Nov 12th a 05:59 PM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
Th Chevrolet part number for the is 604507 for the 1932 gear type oil pump kit.
1 member likes this
#475963 Nov 11th a 03:41 AM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
If it were mine I would replace te oil pump.
The knocking is the main bearings not bearing filled with oil.
I would try to find a genuine Chevrolet cast iron gear type pump for a 1930-1932 engine.
1 member likes this
#472963 Aug 10th a 02:48 PM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
The replacement oil pump you have has a body made of aluminum or pot metal. I hve seen them craze and crack. Possible but a thought,

An easy test would be warm up the oii and remove the dash gauge oil line from the back of the gauge and see if oil is pumping out, (catch the oil in a container)
1 member likes this
#476589 Dec 2nd a 04:10 PM
by Stovblt
Stovblt
Hi Part16john

When you say you felt for number 1 TDC, do you mean you felt for compression with your thumb over the hole?

The valves on number 1 may APPEAR to be closed at TDC even on the wrong revolution as the exhaust will be NEARLY completely closed, and intake JUST starting to open.
The best is to have the valve cover off and watch for valve movement.
As you come up on number 1 TDC, the exhaust valve on number 6 will be closing and neither valve on number 1 wil be moving at all.

All that said, a fast and easy "try" is to just pull your wires out of the distributor cap and reinstall with number 1 wire where number 6 is now and working around from there.
If you mistakenly timed to the wrong TDC (180 degrees out) that will correct it and the engine will start.

Good luck! :-)
1 member likes this
#477130 Dec 28th a 01:48 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
are you using a 6v timing light ? and solid source of power, as well as have the pick up close to the spark plug and facing the correct direction. I know the one i have is 6v and if it the pick up gets close to another plug wire it will pick that one up as well and make the light/mark JUMP around.

I pull plug wire for plug 1 out of hte loops, and ten put my pickup a few inches form plug 1, then use some string or zip ties to hold the pick and wire out and away from the rest of the wires. i pull the wire up and over the radiator support bars and tie them near the radiator. keep them from moving. I have also at times used my 12v mower battery for power on the timing light for a clear sharp light. and can run a ground from car frame to mower battery if needed.
1 member likes this
#477143 Dec 29th a 12:37 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
That is great, glad it was something simple :)

sounds good, just need to tweak it and slow it down a bit on idle. typically around 300rpm or so, i am happy with 450rpm or less for idle.

i use my old school dwell meter to validate (does volts, dwell, and rpm)
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.