Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Alligator
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Alligator
Alligator
After the Chevy finally runs correctly, only the brakes block a successful technical inspection (German law for a road approval) .
The brakes pull unevenly and adjusting them brought no success. Without the brake drums I could see that the wheel brake cylinders do not press evenly and in places do not return to the starting position.
I also noticed defective wheel bearings and defective seals on the brake drums.
My shopping list thus includes wheel bearings, wheel brake cylinder, Axle Shaft seals

Front Wheel Bearings inner - 909002 = Alternativ Brands / National B02 / New Departure 9002 / Filling FS178
Front Wheel Bearings outer - 909001 = Alternativ Brands / National B01 / New Departure 9001 / Filling FS177
Front Seal - 352488 = Alternativ Brands / National 5070 / SKF 18258 / Filling FS202
Fr. Brake Cylinder left = Alternativ Brands / Raybestos WC3731 / Dorman W3731 / Centric 134.62076 / Filling FS 105L
Fr. Brake Cylinder right = Alternativ Brands / Raybestos WC3730 / Dorman W3730 / Centric 134.82024 / Filling FS 105R
Rear Wheel Bearing - 111119+111120 = Alternativ Brands / SKF R1500EL (without inner Ring?!) / Timken R 1500EL (incl. inner Ring?!) / Filling FS316+316R
Oil Seal Axle Shaft - 3663166 = Alternativ Brands / SKF 15557 / Timken 450666 / Filling FS-219
Re.Brake Cylinder - 5300866 = Alternativ Brands / Raybestos WC3396 / Dorman W3396 / Centric 134.66032 / Filling FS 104
Gasket Wheel Hub and Drum Oil Deflector, Front and back the Same?! - 365673 = Alternativ Brands / Filling AF365

Would be nice if you could confirm part numbers or have ideas for alternatives. Since I am ordering from Germany, I would like to make sure I am ordering the right one.

In the previous owner's parts package I found bearings from MBS.
909001R - seems to be the tapered roller bearing from 909001? Can I use this or do I need other modified parts?
909052R - also a tapered roller bearing, but according to the parts list more for Chevy 46-50? Correct?
Last question. Can anyone tell me the thickness of the brake drum seals? I would like to make them myself from gasket paper. Thanks a lot.
Liked Replies
by minetto
minetto
Two years ago I ordered and installed a complete set of four centric wheel cylinders on my 1948. To date, I have been very happy with their performance but can’t speak to longevity. Recently I decided to do the same on my 1941 so I tried to order four more. It appears that right fronts are no longer available in the centric brand but are listed under the more costly brands. As previously mentioned, I would guess they are all made in China but with different labels.

If grease is leaking from the rear axle seals this may help. I found that the surface on the 41 axles was quite pitted in the sealing area. Timpken KWK 99157 repair sleeves were installed over the pits using an appropriate length and diameter of exhaust pipe as a driver. The sleeve was pushed on to the axle far enough to avoid interfering with the bearing. Again these comments are for 1941 and 1948 but the diameter and width of sealing surface area in the 1940 may be the same. If not, repair sleeves are available in different dimensions.

Hope this helps, Mike
1 member likes this
by ruscar
ruscar
Andre,
Dug around in my leftover parts and found the gasket you are asking about. 27 mm wide 0.75 mm thick.
Good luck
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by ruscar
ruscar
Sorry, forgot to include. Mine 167mm outside, 113mm inside. Close enough.
1 member likes this
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
The paper that was between the drum and axle was only used to prevent the two from contacting each other and possibly causing a noise.
1 member likes this
by Stovblt
Stovblt
Yes, you can do exactly that. :-)
Just be sure the gasket you use is the same thickness as the original gasket.
1 member likes this
by 41specialdeluxe
41specialdeluxe
Until the shoes "work in" there will be the lose of contact where the groove is until the shoes have sufficiently worn down and contact the bottom of the groove. The difference in braking will not be significant enough for you to be able to tell the difference.

I recall Porche didn't advise turning the rotors/drums until a certain depth of grooves was reached. I don't remember what that depth was.

Best,

Charlie computer
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.