Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Trying to replace my worn door straps on my 34 1/2 ton pickup. Ordered some and when I got them they are much shorter than the ones I presently have. My present straps are roughly 7 inches in length, and the ones I received are roughly 4 1/2 inches long. The kick panels were replaced with paneling by an earlier owner, but I am assuming that where the door strap attaches to the kick panel is in the same spot. Anyway, I put one on the passenger side and can barely squeeze in. Anybody know the approximate correct length on these straps? Thanks for any help. wjb

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
i cant measure mine right now as it is up in the storage rack the seven inches seems about right really all you have to do is open the passenger door until the door almost hits the spare tire alow for some spring in the strap make both the same length . hope this helps

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks. I believe my old straps to be original and correct. But the supplier asked me if I could verify that mine, as opposed to his, were the correct length. So, I just wanted to check with folks to confirm that. Thanks again. wjb

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The door straps for the plain fender side is 7 & 3/4 in. overall length of the leather. The shorter overall length of 4 & 3/4 in. is for the welled fender to prevent the door from hitting the spare tire. The 34 -36 high cab trucks did not have any panels in front of the door posts (kick panels), only steel covers over the door post wood (two pieces)

34 & 35 trucks are the greatest. 36 high cabs are OK too.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
35 pickup man-----Thanks much. As I mentioned above, the strap I received and put on the passenger side was about the size you indicated for that side, but it sure made for a tight fit getting in the door. Is it any problem for folks getting in the passenger side on your 34 or 35?

Also, I really appreciate the info on the area in front of the door posts. I've been trying to get some photos of original interiors for my 34. So what is between the door posts and the firewall in the interior? Is it the metal of the front portion of the cab? Any idea where I might see a photo of that part of an original interior so I can bring mine back to original?

Thanks again.

wjb

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
There is nothing but a dark gray primer coat between door post and front of cowl on interior, no panel just the backside of the cowl side panels (exterior). If you will PM or email me with your postal address I am quite sure I give your your interior pictures.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I really appreciate that info. I will get you my address. Thanks. wjb

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Williejoebob The 4.75 in door strap is for the 1.5 ton with a welled fender. The longer 7.75 in strap can be used on both sides with the 5.25x17 tire. I have been working on my 1.5 ton for so long I forgot about the 1/2 ton. The 7.75 in. strap is p/n 465755.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
35 pickup man---Thanks for the revision. I knew that the strap that came off that side was the same length as the driver's side, which was around 7 3/4"----but I didn't know if it was original. And it was broken when I got the truck, so I never knew if it would only allow the passenger door to open to the proper width. Appreciate it. wjb

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.