Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MrMack Offline OP
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 10,000
How free should the rear brake cross shaft on a 1928 Chevrolet sedan be?
I have it freed up enough with PB Blaster and it can be rotated back and forth with pliers on the arm that attaches to the equalizer mechanism, it still isn't completely free and there is no lateral movement at all. I can see around the shaft enough to tell that the bushings all appears to be in one piece.
I have had some binding of the crossshaft that is connected to the rear service brakes ever since I bought the 28. I used a pipe wrench to get the shaft to move two times and the brakes seemed to be ol for a couple of tours, but when the car sits for a couple of months the shaft seizes. I have the car on the lift and have all the rods and the shaft should be free. The shaft isn't frozen in place since I cleaned it at the two outside, insides of the outer bushigs and the small center bushing.
I need to decide if there is a need to have the shafts freed up enough to move by hand or if it is supposed to have some resistance to keep from rattleing. If they should be free enough to rotate the disconnected shaft by hand , then I need to pull the shaft and drill out the rivits, replace the bushings with some brass bushings Arvid made for me, which I can split in half to keep from cutting the outer arms off (I have thought about drilling the outer bushing housing and tapping it for a grease Zerk so that the bushing can be greased or is that a bad idea?)

All the pins and clevis and rod ends are tight and the pins had to be driven out. They all appeared to have been painted black, probably before they were assembled, the only worn pins I can find are the ones that attach the rear rods to the brake arms.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I would not be happy unless I could turn the shaft by hand. I opened up the holders (?) and worked on the balls till I had them free. The shells (?) were reinstalled with bolts and spacers between the two 1/2's for the correct clearance. After adjusting all the brakes I can pretty much slide the wheels.

This action was taken on my 1928 Touring.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

MrMack Offline OP
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ray, that sounds like what I will do, since the shaft is disconnected from all the rods and linkage I might as well go all the way, grind off the rivits and take a good look.
I do have those nice brass bushings Arvid sent me , maybe I can cut them into halves and install them without cutting the outer arms off the shaft. I have thought that if I cut the shaft I would do it a few inches inboard of the right and left side brackets and then weld it back or use a couple of sleeves or pinned couplings over the shaft without having to put the shaft into a lathe.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Mr Mark, and Happy New Year over there.

If I was you, I will take a angle grinder and grind of the outer arms, weld the worn shaft, turn them in a lathe, install the one piece bushings (don't cut them in halves) put the outer arms back an weld them outside.It works great on my "new" -28 project.Easy to move by hand, no locking , and NO RATTLE .

[Linked Image from img455.imageshack.us]

Best regards

Arvid

http://www.chevroletnorge.com

Last edited by Bluezone; 01/15/07 04:07 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.