Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90179 06/04/04 08:23 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Just because there have been no recent postings in this thread, doesn’t mean we are goofing off. To bring you up to speed, the 1947 Coupe and 1941-¾ ton truck are considered finished for this round of maintenance. For a refresher you can browse through Vehicles in temporary storage under this Tech Talk heading.

For our next project we selected three vehicles. A 1928 Model A 4-door sedan, 1930 Model A 1-ton truck and a 1946 ½ ton Chevrolet truck. Each vehicle presented it’s own set of problems. The 1928 had not been started for several years. Surprisingly, it really didn’t take too much effort to get it started. Within a few minutes of running I discovered the intake manifold was split almost into two ½’s. The decision was made to remove the manifold and take it with me back to the shop to either repair or replace. As all projects go this one turned sour quickly. In removing the manifold nuts one stripped and had to be manhandled off. This resulted in a damaged stud that will have to be removed on the next trip. The truck had a unique problem as a result of a previous owner. The owner was in the Air Force and had access to some miracle chemicals. He had treated the gas tank to stop leaks and keep rust particles from lodging in the carburetor. Problem was, the chemical never did cure and each time the vehicle was operated globs of the chemical came loose and were more detrimental than the rust particles. You have read my dissertation on the three kinds of “snot” on another string and now we will add still another “AF Snot”. Long story short, the gas tank was removed and will receive the normal procedure, boil out, cut holes in the bottom so the interior can be sand blasted, close the 4 holes, and treat the inside with the Red snot. If you are not familiar with the Model A it is necessary to disassemble the cab, as the fuel tank is a major portion of the cowl. You can relax now as this is about as deep as I intend to go on the work on the 4-letter brand of vehicles.

The final selection was the ½ ton truck. This vehicle had been restored several years ago and was one of the vehicles that were moved some 100 miles from one storage area to the other. At the time it was moved, I do not remember starting the vehicle. I think it was loaded and unloaded by means of my winch.

This is a very nice vehicle and sports the same Red and Black color scheme as the 1941 ¾ ton unit. During the restoration it was obvious that the previous owner and the ones doing the restoration knew that the block was cracked. A word of warning. Don’t ever leave plain water in you collector vehicles over the winter. The Chevrolet 6-cylinder engine is notorious for freezing and cracking the block the entire length on the driver’s side just above the internal oil passages. On the cowl end of the engine near the firewall, on the driver’s side, is a petcock used to drain the block. If you only drain the radiator and not the block, bad things will happen. Back to the story, the cracked block was repaired(?) by filling in the area by what appeared to be JB Weld. This temporary repair was easy to spot years later as the constant warming of the engine by operating it and subsequent cooling periods, dislodged the JB Weld and streaks of rust marked the block at several locations.

You can easily see the rust streaks coming from under the JB Weld(?).
[Linked Image from home.comcast.net]

The owner desired that the engine be replaced and that is the project for the truck. If you have followed this adventure on the previous work you noted that most of the work was accomplished at the location where the vehicles now reside. This never did work well as I was constantly needing some tool or part that I did not being with me and the 100 mile journey one way to get it was out of the question. This time we ask the owner for permission to bring the truck back to my shop so those problems would not be an issue.

The truck after being winched yet another time on the trailer and ready for the trip back to my shop.

Mount Hood, Oregon is visible in the background on the right side of the truck.

Owner’s house straight ahead and his show building to the right of the house.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

#90180 06/08/04 03:34 AM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Before the 1946 pickup was brought to the shop a correct 1946 engine was purchased. It was advertised as running condition with low miles. At the time of purchase my main concern was to locate a correct block. If the engine were correct totally, that would be a bonus. As the engine was out of the vehicle and sitting on the floor of the shop, it was decided to tear it apart, check the rebuild and was it really a low mile engine. The owner offered to run the engine for me, however time did not allow this to happen.

In cleaning up the engine for disassembly it was noted that the head was a 1952, however this was not a problem as the truck engine should have a good head on the cracked block engine. So on with the disassembly. When the head was removed the tops of the pistons looked nice except for #5. It was obvious that the head was cracked at that location. When the pan was pulled and the rods and mains inspected it proved the engine had been rebuilt, a nice job was done, and it appeared to have been low miles.

When the side cover was removed to inspect the pushrods and oiling system a common flaw was discovered that is found all too often.
The oil line is almost worn completely through. If you inspect the side cover you will note a depression for the oil line to prevent this mistake. The line is intended to go horizontal for a short distance and then be routed up through the hole in the head made for that purpose. This mistake was found in time to prevent dry rocker arms with the resulting fast wear and unwanted noise.

Very often on this forum the question of how to remove the crankshaft pulley is ask. Here is the set up to remove the pulley that has the two threaded holes directly opposite each other on the pulley.
While the pulley is in your hands is a good time to clean the sealing surface and check for any groves. If you find any, such as this pulley, there is a quick and inexpensive solution to the problem.
This is a sleeve that is inexpensive and does a great job of saving a badly grooved harmonic balancer. The cost is usually less than $5.00. When you install one be sure you use Locktight, or similar material, to fill the grove and insure the sleeve remains stationary.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

#90181 03/19/05 05:48 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
It has been a long time since I have added to this thread. As no one complained or commented, I assumed you have all lost interest in this project. Needless to say the project has long since been finished and we have gotten into even more interesting things like a crawler tractor. But, we won’t go there.

Additional pictures still exist in the vault, and rather than delete them, I thought I might share a few with you.

As we left you last time we were about to install another engine in the 1946 truck to replace the one that had the cracked block. As with any project of this type there are several ways to approach the problem. To make matters worse, we are working with a restored truck and making major changes to it. This type operation has been my approach on numerous vehicles, even if it were not a restored one, to get access to the engine compartment. The solution: Remove the entire front clip.

This job is much easier that it sounds. Assuming we have made the preliminary steps such as, remove the hood as a complete unit, drain and disconnect the radiator, remove the “Y” support, disconnect the electrical harness and fold it up and place it back up on the cowl by the windshield, gas line, temperature sending unit, oil line to dash, choke and throttle cables and any other item connected to the front clip.

Now is the fun part. All bolts that attach the fenders to the running board and cowl are removed on both sides. Remove the two radiator support bolts down near front cross member. Make sure the heater hoses are removed from their holders.

Now two people can easily remove the remaining front clip as a unit. Here is what you have left to work with. A completely open engine compartment where we can work and not worry about dropping the engine, wrench or other item and causing damage.

This is what the front clip looks like when removed from the vehicle. It can be covered with moving blankets to prevent accidents while off the vehicle.

And a view from the other direction.

My next project will be an off frame restoration of a 1928 Roadster. At this time I don't intend to document it on this site as we did with the "School is in Session".

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

#90182 03/19/05 06:33 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Ray,
Excellent post - I'm glad you decided to carry forward on this thread 'cause as I'm in the process of doing a restoration of my '46 1/2T.

One question, can you tell me what the (4) holes marked "?" in the lower portion of the cowl in the attached pic are used for ? I should have identified them better when taking things apart,but I figured I would remember what was attached in there....... :o :o :o
Thanks
chevy -Bob

[Linked Image from home.rochester.rr.com]

-BowTie Bob
#90183 05/16/05 08:02 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
The thread on maintenance will now be closed. While on tour in Nevada at the AllCal Meet I received a call from one of our club members that George Ing, VCCA# 24640 had passed away on Wednesday 11 May 2005. I have known George for many years and we shared many an hour enjoying our mutual love of the old Chevrolets. If you have followed this thread you will remember that I, and a fellow club member Jim Schoffstoll moved all of Georges vehicles from his barn in Gaston Oregon to his new house and show building in Hood River Oregon. During this time George was slowing down some as a fruit grower and wanted to enjoy his collection more. I ended up with the job of maintaining his collection, which I have done for many years. There are some loose ends to take care of and I will finish the maintenance project. It is unknown at this time the disposition of the collection. At a later date I will assist in whatever solution the family chooses.

George will be laid to rest tomorrow 17 May 2005. I will lead a convoy of club members in our vintage Chevrolets to Hood River for this service.

I have never divulged the name of the fellow who I was doing the maintenance for, however it is now appropriate to share his name with you.

To a great man who loved his car and memorabilia collection, his great family, friends of all types, who entertained the Columbia River Region on an annual basis at his home and shared his fruit with each and all, I bid farewell. He leaves a large hole in all our lives.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 78 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.