Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77344 07/01/05 12:00 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
This message should go to Ray Holland, I hope.

Ray,

I received a question regarding a "Kadett" Radio by Delco in a '47 1/2 ton. I was not sure about it and I have attached the file so that you can read what the member had to ask. Would either one of you respond to this, send it back to me, and I will print it out and mail it back to the member. He did not leave me a phone or email, just a self addressed stamped envelope like the old days. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the letter:
I recently purchased a ’47 Pick up 3100 series. Although the body is in good shape, with minor dents and surface rust, I feel it is a good candidate for restoration. I have had classes in auto body repair and refinishing at our local Community Colleges since 1998. These have been day and night classes. Now my problem, the truck came with a radio but I question the authenticity and the location in the dash. The unit is a “Kadett” by DELCO. It was mounted on the curve section of the dash just above the grill work. I don’t think the cut out was factory. Too many burrs on the edges. Some people should be put in handcuffs when they are thinking of working on a car.

The second problem is was the ’47 Truck equipped with 12 or 6 volt? ( I know this one!). There is a 12 volt present. Also the wiring needs to be changed. That will come after all the body work is done.

I would appreciate any and all information you can give me on this restoration.

Sincerely,

William J. Murphy

Steve Scott #12609
National Judging Chairman

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Steve, I can't answer the question about the Kadett radio but the factory opening was on the curved section just above the grill work. A rough opening would suggest that the factory opening has been enlarged.

dandyd

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ray must be out traveling as he has not been seen here since before the 4 Cyl Tour.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Gene:

He is. And, I don't know if he can 'check in' here while he's on the road.

Bill.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.