Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77063 03/05/05 01:57 PM
RalphL Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have an accessory Western Clock Co (La Salle, Ill) electric clock for my 39. There is a rather amateurish job at repainting the numbers on the inside of the glass. The Filling Station is selling a clock refacing decal (change search criteria to Part Number and then enter D-100):

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.a...illingstation/&TITLE=Filling_station

Before I call Jerry at FS, my question is this - the picture of the decal show red dots inside white dots by all the numbers. This matches my early 39 style speedomoter and other gauges, but I don't see any evidence of these dots on the original clock. Were the dots correct?

I suppose I could just cut the dots off before applying the decal. My next question is - Would the decal be put on the glass or the metal with the rectangular hole for the clock?

I'm assuming on the metal as I can see a faint outline of the original numbers on it and the numbers on the glass are obviously amateur.

Thanks!

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

#77064 03/05/05 02:27 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have a 1939 Pontiac eletric clock in my '39.Its face matches the later cream faced '39 instruments, which were the same as a '39 Pontiac. and has red hands.Will not be of help in this department.

Going by pictures in my 1939 accessory info. both the eletric and wind '39 clocks have the red dots.Both the numbers and dots are on the face of the clock, behind the hands.Its common to see a 1938 clock installed in a '39.It had the numbers either on the glass or on the raised area around the face.The cream dots are on the face behind the hands and numbers are on the raised area or glass more or less in front of the hands.Also picture I have show both the eletric and wind clock for '39 to have the knob in the front -the '38 has it in the rear.Knob is the square tan job that matches the choke knob, etc.The problem is Chevrolet used more than one supplier of clocks and they all may have been different.The info. I have lists the ele. clock as being made by NewHaven Clock co.The '38 ele clock and the '39 wind clock are also shown with straight hands, the 1939 ele. shows tear drop shaped hands.

The filling Station Decal looks correct for the '39 wind or ele. clock-but they describe it as having a black back ground and it should be dark brown as are the other instruments.

Hope I didn't confuse you stressed

Gene Schneider
#77065 03/05/05 03:12 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
i have bought that decal from the FS and it matches nice you wont tell the difference when its all together,the back grond is a dark brown not black

#77066 03/05/05 03:23 PM
RalphL Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Gene and Al. Appreciate the info. You guys take care.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.