Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have an old Sears swamp cooler I want to use on my '38 Chevy. I realize this is out of the norm but being a member of VCCA, I thought I could get a little help. The cooler is in excellent condition but appears to be missing a bracket. The cooler has 3 clamps that hold it on to the window and it has a bracket on the tank just below those clamps. The bracket is a small distance out from the tank. There is a 1"x1" bare square on the bottom of the tank. It appears there may have been a bracket spot welded to these two places, at the bare spot and between the upper bracket and tank. Does anyone out there have one of these that they could draw an end view diagram of and show the dimensions of the bracket if in fact there was one? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Beamer, I'm also from Rochester and had a Sears swamp cooler several years ago - kind of a light green in color. As I recall, it had two brackets for the window mounting and a support rod that went from the underside of the cooler to the door. The 'cooler' only lasted for a couple of weeks because it didn't work too well and drove my wife nuts (short trip!!). The cooler worked fairly well when you were under way (above 40 mph), but when you slowed down or had to stop, the humidity that the unit put into the passenger compartment, along with the windows being rolled up, was intolerable - like being in a steam bath. It also blocked the passenger side window, which was not good for the passenger or for the driver, for that matter. Those things might have worked in the arid desert country, but it's way too humid in New York for them. The only thing they're good for, IMO, is for attracting mild interest at the local cruise-in. Mine was sold on Ebay and I was glad to be rid of it. chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey Bowtie Bob! I have a brand new one in the original box if you want to try swamp coolers again. Ha ha! laugh laugh

Actually, you don't put water in the swamp cooler.......you use beer instead with a long straw going from the swamp cooler to the driver's seat. "Sip as you drive". Ha ha! wazzup laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Dang!! I wish I'd thought of using beer instead of water. I'd still have gotten hot, but I wouldn't have cared!! chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Dang, I am glad I used the beer to cool the innards of MrMack rather than the air!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, in Macky Wacky's case, there would be a lot of "hot air" floating around inside of the car, so a swamp cooler would be right up his alley.

Bowtie Bob: I stopped using beer in my swamp cooler and I graduated into vintage wine instead! Also, I now keep slices of exotic cheese on the seat next to me, so now I can "sip and dip" at the same time! It works for me!

Ain't swamp coolers great??!! dance dance dance

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.