Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51609 05/20/02 07:14 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is there a rubber seat of some fashion that the carburetor float needle seats to on a 1928 Chevy ab coupe carter carb.?? My neede appears to only seat against the brass fitting? The needle doesn't seem to be able to stop the gas from flooding the carb. The float is ok.

Scott

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Scott, sounds correct for 1928 but here in Australia we can buy a Holden needle(rubber tipped) over the counter, but have never needed one in my car.If you try Gary Wallace he may be able to help you with a new needle and seat.(ozjim)

Jim
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gary sells a kit for RAKXO that includes the rubber tipped needle valve. Click on,
www.cybersurfers.net/~herb/gary1.htm
Herb

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
My experience with the rubber tipped needle valve was one of flustration. If you are using an electric fuel pump at 2 to 3 psi you might get away with it. My experience while using the original vacuum fuel pump was trouble. It would appear, to me anyway, that the carburetor float is capable of forcing the rubber tipped needle into the seat hard enough that the gravity feed fuel head of the vacuum pump would not un-seat the needle when needed. For me the old metal on metal needle valve system works the best.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks everyone, but I'm still unclear as to weather there should be a rubber seat that the neede fits against. My needle has a rubber tip but the float still seems unable to stop the gas from flooding the carb?

Scott

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
No, the seat is not rubber but metal (brass in most cases).

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
All brass,,look it Hemmings for the parts you need..doc

doc
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, I've cleaned the ruber tipped needle and it looks ok but about 10 minutes after I shut off the engine the gas starts leaking ( flooding)out at the bowl gasket and drips out the air cleaner pipe. Any suggestions how to stop the leaking (flooding)? Would this ball -needle replacement that they sell for $27 help?

Scott

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Many dudes are complaining about flooding problems with many vintage carburetors due to the fact that they are using a Viton tipped needle. Because of the gasoline that we are getting, the Viton needles are swelling and deforming just enough to allow the carburetor to flood. Changing out the Viton needle and mating seat with a conventional metal needle and brass seat has cured most, if not all, of the flooding problems caused by the Viton needle. Change out your needle and seat with a metal needle and try it. :( :confused: :eek: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Could there be a problem elsewhere causing the flooding such as too much preasure from the vaccume tank or some air hole blocked in the carb or something that makes the gas leak out the bowl other than the needle and seat and float? The bowl has a new gasket, the needle seat looks to be ok?

Scott

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi entsminger,

Scott,

You have not indicated that anything about your 28 is other than stock???? Assuming that statement is correct, your problem could be "sinking float", float level not set correctly, or could the leak possibly be at the bowl nut? If you have not cheated and have an electric fuel pump the stock set-up on the carb will easily shut off the flow of gas, assuming all components are in good working order.

As noted numerous times, the ownership of the Owner's Manual and the Repair Manual are highly recommended. Very few problems with the OLD cars are new. Most likely they are covered in the two references mentioned, along with pictures/drawings.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My car is stock with the origional rebuilt vacume fuel pump, not an electric one. The gas flows over the top of the bowl at the gasket and back down the aircleaner pipe, The float seems to be set right and is in good shape. I could find nothing in both 1928 repair manuals I have that have helped. I guess I'll just have to do it the expensive way and start replacing stuff till it stop leaking.

Scott

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Scott,

You only have one thing to change to see if the results are different. Get a new needle and seat, rubber tipped or metal, I have excellent results with either. There are several sources for this item and I will not make a recommendation unless you contact me direct.

With the vacuum tank, the needle and seat needs to stop the flow from only a few inches in height difference. A good replacement should handle your problem.

Wish you luck.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well I got the ball jet replacement from Gary Wallace and it seems to have stopped the flooding.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.