Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51393 02/21/02 02:23 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've just started my 28 chevy 4 cylinder for the first time in years, it has oil preasure on the gauge but in the minute it has run I don't see any oil cmming out on the rockers? Does oil pump to the rockers through the push rods or a hole somewhere ? Should oil come out on the rockers in quantity or dribble out? On a newer car when you take off the valve cover and run the engine, oil squirts out everywhere.

Scott

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
When you take the valve cover off, you will find or should have a felt cover which goes over the rockers. This felt should be oiled periodically. This is what supplies oil to the upper area of the motor. There are also small felt rings that fit on the top of the rods right under the rockers. These as well should be oiled. Yes it will drip may be messy but it the way things were done back then. Ain't it a blast!!!! I love my '28!!
good luck
mike

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So no oil pumps to the rockers through push rods or holes somwhere? If so how often should I oil the felt around the rockers? Also, my oil filter does not have the cock valve on the end as the manual shows for opening and seeing if oil is pumping in and out of it. Could I have the wrong filter on it? Any recomendations on oil filters?

Scott

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Scott,

The 28 Owner's Manual addresses the problem of the felt on the rocker arms in the following manner: "Use cylinder oil to lubricate the rocker arms and push rod felts, keeping the felt saturated with oil".

My car makes all the National Pre-29 Tours in addition to many local tours. Even with this much driving I only do the felts once a year at the start of the season.

Oil Filter. Same reference says to renew cartridge every 9000 to 10,000 miles. Sounds like you don't know the history on your cartridge in addition to possibly having an aftermarket unit. Therefore, I would suggest you replace the unit (They are readily available) and keep some sort of record in order to know when to service it again.

In the low places (cavities) on the head, I would put some oil up to the level of the valve guides. This area should be cleaned frequently as it is a real dirt catcher.

I assume you have changed the oil after taking the car out of storage. If not, that should be the next order of business.

Wish you luck with your 4-Banger.

laugh :) :rolleyes:

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Scott,

I am not sure if this is correct.... but I always squirt a little oil on each of the valve stems before starting my '28. Every so often I do have to take a little oil out of the oil wells on the top of the head, but I always figure that a little to much oil is better than not enough. I also keep the top felt very damp with oil.

At the same time, I fill the little depression hole on the water pump with oil and give the grease cup on the pump a little turn in.

If I go on a long trip, I may also squirt a little more on the valve stems mid way through my trip. Better too much than not enough. A can of oil is 1.29 a head job is over $200.

I also note that if my engine is cold it takes a little bit to build up pressure on my guage. I try to baby the motor until I see pressure built up on the guage.

Hope this has been to some help to you. Happy motoring

Mike

Mike Quezada
(559) 250-5427
mike.quezada@M2ProSol.com
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The repair manual and owners manual for my 27 says to oil the felt every 100 miles by squirting oil into the holes on the top of the rocker arm cover. Dad had this car since 54 and me since 96 and that has worked well for us. Dale

Dale Duffield Tulalip, WA.
1927 Sports Cabriolet (since 1954)
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Be careful squirting the oil directly on the valve stems. Depending on the condition of your valve guides, this may lead to fouling up your spark plugs. I found this out on my 28. :eek:

Regards,
-R

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.