Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I’m going to replace the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket on my 54 235 engine (not original) on my 41 AK truck this week. They’re leaking a little bit. Just looking for any good techniques or helpful advice. I usually coat the gaskets in the liquid copper coat gasket compound and let it sit for a few minutes till it gets tacky. I haven’t pulled the oil pan yet but the pictures of the gasket appears that there are two separate sections (Lt and Rt). Is there also a separate section for the front and back also? Just wondering if anyone uses something like form a gasket on their gaskets. Thanks.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Planepal

Regarding the oil pan gasket,
You might try the method I use as I posted here:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/485987/oil-pan-gasket-installation-tip.html#Post485987

Ole S Olson
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
It is very much a personal preference which sealant you do or do not use. I have used anything and everything and nothing with the full range of results. The one thing I do not like about adhesive/tacky type sealers is that heavy clean-up work the next time you have to deal with that gasket.

You might consider replacing the side cover gasket while you are this far into the efforts to try and stop the leakage.

Ole's tips for installing the pan gasket are very good.

The other key factor is to make sure the pan and valve cover flanges are smooth and square, Typically you will see that the fasteners have been overtightened to try and stop the leaks. So the flanges are dimpled wherever there is a fastener.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good tip. Thanks.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good stuff. I’ve used a two inch section of a chopstick to help line up the valve cover gaskets on my International Scouts. That oil pan on the Chevy is a bit more involved. Thanks.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
with the multi piece oil pan gaskets I general stick the gasket pieces to the block with non hardening aviation cement, when it holds the gasket in place apply a dab of silicone to the gasket joints only prior to fitting the pan without any more sealant. I havent had any leaks that I know of.

Valve cover gaskets I glue the gaskets to the cover only.

Neither method may be correct but work for me.

Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.