Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489748 02/19/24 11:36 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello everyone!

We are new to this forum, my wife & I recently purchased a 41 Chevy Master Deluxe Sedan. It is all original except for the paint, it has been kept at the Forgotten Wheels Museum in Oklahoma for the last (8) years. It is now in Florida, we just got the brakes done, new water pump, spark plugs, wires & oil change. The car ran for a little while & now it won't turn on. As soon as I get a chance, I need to check for spark. We wanted to ask what upgrades are recommended? We want to get it mechanically safe to drive it on the road. Thank you!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
THE FIRST THING i WOULD SUSPCT IS THE GAS LINE IS PLUGGED UP..

Gene Schneider
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
We need some clarification. By "won't turn on" what do you mean? No power, everything's dead? You have power but it won't crank? You have power and it'll crank but won't fire? It'll crank & try to fire but won't start? Help us help you. Tell us in detail what's happening. I'll move this to the Mechanical forum for you.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You asked, "upgrades are recommended? We want to get it mechanically safe to drive it on the road". I have to ask how will you be driving it. If you are keeping the stock drivetrain then the brakes and suspension are more than antiquate for the car. It should run just fine and be useable.

I would look at changing all the fluids, make sure the tires are not dry rotted etc. When driving the car remember that in the era it was built they drove slower and on roads that were not as well built as ours.

The one safety feature I would recommend adding is turn signals. If you are not worried about the appearance then lap belts. Neither of these are hard to add. I also added a battery cut off. Make sure that if you do add one it is large enough to handle the increased amperage that goes with a 6v. Nice piece of mind that nothing is connected when the car is not being used. I also added pig tails for a battery tender. Easier than using the clamps on the terminals.

For safety a full inspection of all the joints and bolts on the car can go along way. We found some questionable stuff when we were getting our 41 road ready. Make sure everything is greased properly. A copy of an original shop manual will help you there.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for your response, we came to the conclusion that it has no spark. Sprayed starter fluid in carb with no success, if it is a fuel problem, engine would turn on at least for a couple of seconds until starter fluid is gone. Planning on getting a 6v to 12v conversion kit & would like to change from points to Pertronix. We put new plugs & wires. Any recommendations for what distributor cap & rotor to buy & where? We are in Florida & shipping costs from Chev's of the 40's can be costly depending on what you order

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for your response, we came to the conclusion that it has no spark. Sprayed starter fluid in carb with no success, if it is a fuel problem, engine would turn on at least for a couple of seconds until starter fluid is gone. Planning on getting a 6v to 12v conversion kit & would like to change from points to Pertronix. We put new plugs & wires. Any recommendations for what distributor cap & rotor to buy & where? We are in Florida & shipping costs from Chev's of the 40's can be costly depending on what you order

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Would you mind sending us your phone number?

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
A properly maintained 6 volt system works just fine. If it will not run on 6 volts I doubt if it will run on 12 volts.

Remember that the voltage to the ignition coil in a correct 12 volt system is reduced to about 7 volts. This increases the life of the points.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.