Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489697 02/17/24 10:26 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Looking to purchase The “Real McCoy Delco Battery push Caps
Looking to buy 6 Black caps w/Yellow lettering Delco screw-in type battery caps for sale. Ones that possibly were removed from a dead Delco battery or NOS to present well and garner judging points. Thank you in advance to all that can help.

Attached Images
IMG_1830.jpeg
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I searched there and was able to acquire, one black with yellow lettering, and two yellow with black lettering the two yellow ones I was looking to paint. I still need two more but if I can obtain the correct ones so I will not paint any. I have the Delco eye.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
There are some nuances about these old Delco battery caps and especially the “eye”. Based on your avatar I assume that you are focused on what is correct for 1964.

You are correct to be looking for yellow caps. The caps changed to black with red lettering sometime around 1966. The tricky part is whether the correct cap for 1964 is all yellow or yellow with black lettering. Based on what I have read and seen, the caps were all yellow by 1964.

The “eye” was not introduced until 1966. So those eyes were black with red lettering. Obviously there were eye’s available on the aftermarket and they could be retrofitted to earlier batteries.

The other point is that there are 2 different types of eyes. The first generation simply changed from dark to a pale yellow if the electrolyte level in the battery was low. The latter generation changed color based on the specific gravity of the electrolyte. Specific gravity is a direct indicator of battery charge leave.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for this information. I have seen both yellow caps with black “Delco” writing and black caps with yellow “Delco” writing. When I attended the MCACN show in Chicago all the 64 Impalas, I seen were black caps with yellow “Delco” writing.A few batteries were reproduction and others were OEM/NOS batteries.

There was a car that was all original. Nothing was done to it everything was all original. Unfortunately, the engine compartment, I failed to take photos because I, amazed by its originality.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.