Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am working on a 1928 Chevy speedster front brakes and am confused as to how to remove the front brake cam operating cam lever. I am having trouble understanding the 1928 Chevy repair manual on page 106.
This is the first time I have attempted to replace the parts as the threaded adjusting bolt is broken and the brass adjusting nut corners are stripped out.
First, I removed the cam lever bolt and washer.
I could not get the cam lever plate off. I really did not want to hammer or pry,
I am hoping that the cam lever plate will show the woodruff key,
I do have the adjusting bolt and the brass adjusting nut removed.
Does the pin that goes through the collar need to be removed as on page 105.
I just can seem to remove the cam assembly to get to the woodruff key.
Any suggestions and thanks for your help.
Paul

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The block the adjusting nut sits in is made of pot metal. This has a tendency to grow and jam. from memory you can't get the plate off without destroying the block.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
C & P Automotive is remaking the pot metal pieces out of cast aluminum. I strongly advise anyone who has a '28, or a '29 to buy both replacement sets for your car. The old white metal originals get very brittle and could fail making the front brakes useless.

For a road trip adventure look up "Billy Possum Rides the Web" it will have a link to the C & P Automotive website.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.