Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find a diagram or info on how to assemble pretty much everything on a 1924 Chevy superior touring. Mainly the engine would be a huge help. My grandfather was a prominent Chevrolet dealer in Buffalo NY in the 1950’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and I recently tracked his 1924. The engine has been gone through I just don’t know how to assemble it. It has a 4 cylinder engine. Everything is thank you 🙏

Last edited by theautoexch; 02/14/24 11:46 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome to VCCA Chatter. I'll move this to a technical forum for you.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The forum "Tech Talk" has what you are looking for.
4 cylinder Engine Rebuild Article - "School is in Session"
by AntiqueMechanic

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome to the VCCA forums! You'll find lots of great info and people here. ;-)

The answer to your question is yes! There are a couple of play-by-play documented 4 cylinder builds on this site. They are both of 1928 engines, but the basics are the same for all of these engines.

1. As Steve mentioned, Ray Holland (aka AntiqueMechanic), a master mechanic, rebuilt a '28 Chevy engine in a series called School is in Session. Here is a link to that thread (discussion): School is in Session (web pages)

This story also resides in a 250 page PDF on our web page of Technical Articles, which can be downloaded and printed. To access this list, however, you need to be a member of the VCCA. There are MANY good reasons to join, like getting access to technical experts, having access to over 200 technical articles, and much more.

2. In 2017, I rebuilt the '28 engine in Lurch, my 1927 one ton truck (see the links below) and I heavily referred to Ray's discussion during my build. I documented my journey here: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger

Keep us posted about your adventure!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

1 member likes this: Clement
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Welcome aboard!
The suggestions made already for the engine are the best! Perfect for the DIYer.
You can also cut and paste chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com Another great resource.
Of course lot's of questions here also.
Post us some pictures if you get a chance.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you everyone for the responses!! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me. I am definitely new to the forum and can see how this is going to be a HUGE help down the road.

In terms of my situation; I feel as if I got lucky. The person who had my grandfather's car for the last 15 years didn't do anything to it cosmetically, but went through the engine and said it's good just needs to be assembled. " It went through the machine shop 10/15 years ago. Honed, new rings, new bearings, reworked the head." He recommends I take apart the block and regrease everything because it has been sitting. As I used the information from you guys I stumbled across a YouTuber named Lunchtime Mechanic who made a pretty detailed video on how to do what is needed. I would like to get the 250 PDF in technical articles and I believe I am a member? That's how I was able to get access to this forum?

Other than that I have a new starter, new distributor housing, new oil pump/ generator parts, and new gasket sets. I feel like I am ready to go. The engine stand arrived today, I just need a fresh bottle of lube.

HOW DO I ADD PHOTOS?? Not sure why I cant figure this one out.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I figured it out!

Attached Images
1924 4.jpeg 1924 3.jpeg 1924 2.jpeg 1924.jpeg
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ray Weil, My grandfather, in the Chevy!

Attached Images
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Last edited by theautoexch; 02/23/24 12:01 AM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Great photo!! ;-)

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Chat site membership is free and open to all however VCCA Club membership is separate and has a dollar value attached depending on the type of membership chosen the main difference being whether you choose to receive the club magazine in printed form or online. If you are not a club member you can join by clicking on the header at the top of the page for VCCA Home . If not a Club member I encourage you to join ad there are many benefits other than the chat site but either way welcome and glad to have you with us preserving these old relics.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.