Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489571 02/12/24 04:07 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Can someone tell me where on the toe panel the brake light switch is on a 51? I can see the dimmer switch but not the other. I'm sure it is to the right of the dimmer but I can't seem to locate it. Thanks!
Jeff

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
t is contacted by the brake pedal arm so is in line with th pedal arm.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the quick response! The service manual says that it is located on the toe pan. Is it outside (like the dimmer switch) or inside the car? Tomorrow I will try to follow the brake pedal arm and see if I can locate it. What I'm trying to accomplish is to hook up the final wire of the turn signal. The directions from Chevrolet direct that you cut the wire from the switch and solder in the wire from the turn signal unit. First, I can't determine which wire is the one to cut-it's very hard to see the colors of the tracers and second, I really don't want to cut any of the original wires. I would rather disconnect the wire from the switch and attach the turn signal wire to that wire there.
Jeff

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Jeff, the switch is outside the passenger area of the car on the underside of the toepan. If you remove the baffle panel at the bottom of the front fender behind the front wheel ( it's on about a 45 degree angle) you should be able to get at the switch easily, or at least find the brake pedal so you can see how the pedal arm operates the switch when it's mounted. Hope this helps!!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Kaygee,
Thank you!! I had a feeling that's where it was and I did see that panel you referred to. As soon as I can get the car on the lift I will take it off and see what I can find.
Jeff

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Kaygee,
I got the car on the lift today and found the switch.
Jeff

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Congratulations!! Sure is nice having a lift available when having to work under the car. Did you get the signals working?

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
They work perfectly. Thanks for asking. I appreciate all the help That I got on this forum. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Jeff

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.