Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
31568 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My car is a 1931 Cabriolet. I purchased the rear fender supports that are also used on the truck. Could not find any fora car. I thought these would be beneficial to support weight put on the fender when stepping up and into the rumble seat. I can’t locate holes for the fender supports. Do I need the brackets? I also replaced the rear fender so have no reference where the foot pad should be mounted. Is there documentation or another forum discussion on this site where this information can be obtained? Thanks for any information or direction that can be provided!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The only rear fender brace is the s shaped bracket that is mounted with one of the fender attaching bolts. I believe the bolt to the rear of the bolt at 12 o'clock is the correct hole. There has been several threads on that question.

I had the same problem with a repo fender on my 31 Cab but my memory is not pulling it up. There are patterns for the right tail light but I can't find one on the step pad. I may have just used the old fender as a pattern or put it where it made sense and was centered at the top. I bought mine from the Filling Station so they may have had some directions I can't find. You might give them a call.

I didn't put any extra supports on the fender. Usually just kids climbing up there for pictures at a show.

Dave

Attached Images
rear fender brace.jpg
Last edited by Dave39MD; 02/12/24 06:02 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I would add Chevrolet had/has an excellent engineering staff so I like to put it back like they designed.

Dave

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I believe by design the majority of the weight in the top step pad is transferred to the mounting bolts side of the fender rather than outside edge. The fender radius as we know anything round is equally strong all the way through the radius so the old fenders are very capable of supporting weight. We cannot forget when these cars were built the average man was 5’-7” to 5’-9” and weighed in the 140-150 range. Same for the rumble seat passengers. They were small and basically in the early thirties there was no such thing as a “fat mother in law”!😁

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.