Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489568 02/12/24 03:41 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
New member here with lots of questions... Not really sure how we ended up with this project but I am quite excited to 'play' with it some... Most of my knowledge is from the cars of the 70's and my dad was a 50's guy - but we now have a 1924 sitting in our garage. Hasn't been on the road in ~50yrs but it is solid as can be. Body is great, no rust, wood is great and seems intact. Just started some preliminary stuff (reviewing condition of pistons/walls (won't turn over by hand)), checking out the mechanics, fuel tank full of corrosion, dry radiator, etc but thinking we would like to get it running. Just started parts shopping but hoping to find some help as needed and appreciate any information you guys can give me! Thanks!!!

Attached Images
IMG_4627.PNG IMG_4628.PNG IMG_4629.PNG IMG_4632.PNG
1 member likes this: Clement
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome! What a great project! You came to the right place. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
1 member likes this: Vanished
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome to Chat. That is a great looking car. For some, it is hard to make the adjustment from faster, more modern, collector cars. I hope the simplified mechanics and the historic connection will be fun for you and your Dad. Life in the slow lane aint bad.
The 4 cylinder crowd will be along soon, drooling over your car and with lots of good advice. I'll beat Chipper to the punch and tell you "How sweet the roar of a Chevy four"

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
2 members like this: Vanished, Clement
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'm going to move this to the General Discussion forum. More folks will see it there.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
With the post by Mike how do I not make a welcoming statement? So, Welcome. The photos show the '24 Coupe to be in very good condition. If you search this site for starting long term storage engines or similar topics several posts should come up. Many of us have resurrected an older Chevrolet, enjoy the process and definitely driving them. The pride of preserving a bit of automotive history is so pleasurable I have done it several times and look forward to doing it again.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
2 members like this: Clement, Vanished
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I also welcome you to this website and the wonderful world of Chevy four-cylinder vehicles!

As mentioned above, there is a lot of info on this website to help you on your journey. Here are a few ideas to start with:

1. Get a reprint of the shop manual. Most of the Chevy parts vendors carry them and they are also available on ebay.

2. Use the Search Function to help you located individual topics within the Chatter forums. Here's a write up that describes how to use it: Search hints and tips

3. Here are a couple of threads (web discussions) that might interest you:

a. Making yard art driveable again

b. Resurrecting a 1928 Chevy 4 Banger

Celebrate each tiny step forward and enjoy the journey!

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Nice 24 Coupe looks like a fun project. I have a 24 roadster and they are fun. Give the distributor and commutator ends of the starter and generator a good look in case they are the original pot metal versions. I believe repos are still available. Keep posting your progress and questions and we always like lots of pictures.

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 02/13/24 08:25 PM.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks all - appreciate the information, links and welcome!

So far we've just started looking into it.. Put some Mystery oil on the pistons to let them soak, can't turn it over by hand yet.. Pulled the valve cover off and removed rockers to make sure valves aren't bent/sticking.. Can't turn it over with the crank yet by hand.. Touched base with George on new glass for the windshield/drivers door. Will need to figure out how to pull the door panels. Also planning on pulling the gas tank and radiator next for cleaning. Should be a fun project!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
While the pistons are soaking, I suggest that you pull the oil pan off (you can leave the engine in the car) so you can clean out sludge and do an inspection.

Since these engines have a splash oiling system, there are oil reservoirs above all the main and cam bearings. Use a little mirror-on-a-stick to look at them. I suggest cleaning them out with Qtips. You want clean oil to flow into the bearings from these reservoirs.

With the pan off, you can also get some ATF into those reservoirs to soak down into the bearings.

Squirt some oil on the cam lobes and the bottom of the rods too.

;-) Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

2 members like this: J Franklin, Vanished
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Been thinking about this - Anyone have any idea how many '24 Coupe's are left? I see some roadster/touring ones out there but not many like ours... Been trying to find some pictures/details for comparison. Trying to figure out the 'M' on the radiator cap/ornament. Also any suggestions on how to determine if it's ever been restored? So far I've found nothing to indicate that - but it's hard to believe it's 100yrs old and still in that good of shape! Also - any idea what makes the '24 different? Most of the parts I'm finding are for '25+...

Last edited by Vanished; 02/16/24 11:56 AM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I believe that your coupe was probably a low production model, when built, and that few of them survive. Treasure it!!

My friend restored a 1925 Series M truck many years ago so my knowledge of your car stems from what I learned by helping him and being around his truck. It had two rocker arm covers (front and rear) instead of the single one I see on your car. I thought that prior to the 2 cover setup, no covers were used. Does this mean that your cover is an aftermarket accessory? Do I see a decal or sticker in your engine photo?
Does your generator gear drive, with the distributor and oil pump hanging on the back end of it? Just trying to establish that you have the correct power plant.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

35Mike #489729 02/19/24 07:51 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Attached are a few additional pictures.. Looks like the valve cover is "Marvel"? Never heard of that.. (maybe that matches the radiator "M" emblem?) We also took a pic of the generator/distributor - not sure what clues that holds. Hopefully these help!

Attached Images
20240218_114412.jpg 20240218_114801.jpg 20240218_122241.jpg 20240218_114457.jpg
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. Your photos are halpful. On the right side of the block, I can barely see the engine casting number under your exhaust manifold which should be 327773 for the 22 - 24 engine. The early 23s had the oil pump in front of the generator. The later 23s & 24s had the oil pump behind the distributor. The 1922 - 490, 23 & 24 have quarter elliptic springs. The 1925 model K had semi elliptic springs. Look for the chassis vin plate. It is located on the Left floor of the model C coupe in the photo. It may be on the left or right side or your model B or F. It may be on your seat riser if it is wood and not carpeted. .
I know of two model C coupes in the Dearborn and Reno museums. The model C chassis is considerably different than your coupe but the body is the same. You appear to have a nice original car . Thanks for showing it. .
Lou .

Attached Images
ID plate 1q.jpg
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks for the pics. Take care of that valve cover AND THE DECAL!!!

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks guys - any suggestions on starters? The end cover seems to have deteriorated on ours and I'm having some trouble finding information regarding reproductions/replacements for one this old...

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. If you have a round starter and if the pot metal end cover is held on with 2 long bolts, see if a stamped metal end cover from a newer 6 volt starter will fit. This is a guess on my part. If you have a square starter, Good luck! . Lou . .
. .

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Morning all.. Did some more work on the car this weekend - and hence more questions.. Still can't get the engine to turn over, so might need to drop the pan and dig in deeper, Did all these vehicles have a full body skid plate under the engine in the front or was that another aftermarket accessory? Second question was if anyone had a good read/resource on how this clutch works (as I was crawling under it I'm a little confused)... Thanks again in advance for all your help!

Attached Images
IMG_4729.JPG IMG_4731.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.