Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Attached are four photos of my plugs (two of the plugs in different lighting). They are representative of the rest.
The carb was bought from Co40s before the car came to me, so not necessarily an exact match for my '41.
I smell a slight fuel smell while I'm out driving and a stronger smell when I put it back in the garage.
Wondering if the Co40s rebuild wasn't the best and maybe I need to have it gone over again.

Attached Images
IMG_3939 Large.jpeg IMG_3938 Large.jpeg IMG_3937 Large.jpeg IMG_3936 Large.jpeg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Plugs look good to me.
They only they could look cleaner woudl by vby going 60 MPH for 50 miles or so.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with Gene.

I'd be looking for a fuel leak somewhere.

Ole S Olson
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You will smell gasoline after driving the car and putting it into a garage. You are smelling the gasoline that is evaporating from the fuel bowl on the carburetor due to the normal heat from the engine.

My solution is to leave the garage door open for about an hour or park the car outside and let the engine cool down before I put it into the garage.

Plus there is always gasoline evaporating into the air from the fuel tank. These cars did not have sealed fuel systems. Evaporative emissions systems were required beginning in 1971.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks everyone. Maybe it is just fuel evaporating, but I'll get suited up and look around on my next warm sunny day.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
When you pull in and shut it off, watch for it to start dripping from the carb? I found this to be prevalent in mine with the new fuels. And it usually takes a few minutes to start. Engine heat rises and warms up the carb (and fuel) and eventually bubbles out the side. I kinda got it under control by dropping my float level a bit but never completely solved it.

I agree, however, that you should really look hard for any fuel leaks. If you smell it while driving, that sounds like a leak. Maybe next time you're out and get back, don't shut it off. If it's leaking, that may be the best time to spot it.

Also, if you haven't kept your engine bay as clean as it might like to be, you may want to really clean it up over and under and around on your way out from the garage. Drive a bit then pull it back in nice and dry. Maybe THEN you'll be able to spot that leak. It's hard to find when everything is oily and dirty.

Last edited by Skidplate; 02/05/24 08:55 PM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The 1 & 3 plugs are leaner than 2 & 4 but not enough to cause concern, I would leave the carb alone unless it is bubbling over after shut down. Go for a drive and get everything fully warmed up and leave it running while you watch all of the fuel system for leaks. Continue watching the carb after shut down for any sign of dampness.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.