Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Struggled with where to put this. Here, wanted, or somewhere else.

Looking for input on whether to buy NOS from someone on here or Ebay or from Co40s (and pay more for the shipping than the part). Anything wrong with the old rubber? Made better?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You are correct to be concerned with the condition of an NOS rubber part. On the other hand I expect they would fit better than any reproduction you get these days.

I would buy the eBay part with the condition that if it cracks when you install it you get your purchase price back. You would be out the shipping cost only.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Rusty. I ordered the eBay/NOS ones. Fingers crossed.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I’m sure that I am not alone in finding reproduction rubber parts are not made very well. The quality of the rubber is less than stellar. The brake/ clutch pads do not hold up to use, and the floor mats and trunk mats seem to deteriorate rapidly with use.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I received mine from The Filling Station. Since I was getting the car ready for the road at the time I just kept a list of needed parts for the next few steps and placed a large order. This said now that I am past those days it takes a while to get to that larger order status.

For mats like in the trunk since I do not have a show car but a fun car I went to Runnings (local farm store) and bought some rubber mat by the foot. Then cut it to size. More durable than the reproduction ones and far cheaper. For the carpet we bought one of the rugs that appear at dorm time that was a solid color we liked. I think it was 8x9. Then cut it to fit. Both my kids took pride in the fact they made it too and to me that is worth more than a show winning car.

If it was to be a show car then yes I would have purchased the reproduction pieces but that was not our goal so we went with alternatives.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Soak the pads in very hot (not boiling water) before you install them. They will be a lot more flexible. Let them cool to room temperature before using the pedals.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Scott,

Stop trying to save a few bucks. Mercy.

See if Steele has them. If so, then your chances of them holding up is increased significantly. Is too.

Best,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.