Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1966 Chevrolet C10 LWB my father purchased brand new (still have the original bill of sale). It has a 283 small block, which we short-blocked back in 1983 (I remember because I drove to Birmingham, Alabama to pick the short block up). Seeing as how it is no longer a "matching numbers" truck, would you all recommend an LS upgrade to bring the truck into the 21st century, or would you recommend keeping that 283 and the remainder of the truck as stock as possible? Thanks in advance for the inputs and insights.

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I would leave it "as is", if it were mine. The LS swap could get pretty complex with all the electrical upgrades, different transmission, etc.
If I had a truck that had been in my family since new, I would want it to remain as near to the way it was manufactured, as possible.
However...It's your truck, not mine.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
1 member likes this: JoelWeeks
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would keep the truck as stock as possible. No big deal IMO that the engine block is off. Being that it was purchased new by your dad and you have the original bill of sale makes the truck valuable especially sentimental.
My dad and I redid a 64 GMC LWB when I was a teenager growing up. It had a 283 in it that dad mated to a 3-speed overdrive. It was a nice truck and very 'snappy'
Wish I still had it. Periodically I search for one to make into a tribute truck. Usually what I find is junk or so expensive that I just can't see doing it.

1 member likes this: JoelWeeks
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Mike and David. You both confirmed the direction I was already leaning. This is the vehicle I learned how to drive on, and even though by the time I'm finished putting it back together it won't be near worth what I'll have in it, will still be worth it to me. Appreciate your confirming that for me! This probably won't be the last question I have as it unfolds..... laugh

Last edited by JoelWeeks; 01/29/24 09:03 AM.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Welcome to the forum Joel. There are lots of people here with a ton of knowledge about trucks like yours. Spend some time searching around here and you will find a ton of information from some good guys who love these old Chevys. And if you don't find your answer, just post the question and it will certainly get an answer.

Again, welcome.....

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat! That sounds like a great truck with a lot of family history. If I had that much history with a vehicle I know that I would have a strong tendency to keep it as is.

In fact, you may actually make the truck more unique by keeping it closer to original. Everyone else is doing complete drivetrain and suspensions swaps. Plus I think it will be quicker and lower cost to keep it going.

Have fun!

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.