Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi! My name is Matt. I found this forum looking for a place to be able to ask questions as I get my families 1947 3100 pick up back on the road after a lot of misadventures.

My dad bought this truck a little before I was born in 1972. It was built in Oakland California - around the 3000th one made after they switched to the Advanced body. Before him it was owned and used from new as a shop truck by Machado Blacksmith Shop in Walnut Creek California. Original shop details are on both doors on top of nicely patina enhanced original paint. It was a regular presence in my life as transportation until around 1980. In the early 1990s he took it apart, had a shop rebuild the original 216 engine and started in on some general clean up. Life happened and eventually it ended up a basket case in Gulfport Mississippi just in time for hurricane Katrina to flood it out ruining the transmission and torque tube rear end. It made its way back to Northern California near Clear Lake in about 2008 where he and I did some work to it, but nothing major. He moved to a house near me here in Murphys California in 2020. More misadventures saw the truck sitting in a field in his old neighborhood until he had it towed to my house just before Christmas last year. It's sitting on my driveway loosely assembled for transport and the unattached parts are in a pile in the barn next to the MGBGT and Alfa Romeo. I reckon it's time for the misadventures to end.

What's my current plan? With help from my dad and 11-year-old son get it on the road while my dad can still drive.

Thanks for reading this long introduction thread. I'll start a rebuild thread in the appropriate place soon.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome Matt! You came to the right place. Sounds like a fun project. If you decide to join the club you'll also have technical advisors available to you beside the sage advise you'll glean from the forum.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Just joined the VCCA. Haven't looked into technical advisors.

Right now I am trying to figure out what to offer for some parts on Craigslist that I could use, including a core 235 engine, 4 speed transmission, rear end with brakes, front axle with brakes and misc like leaf springs, that is on craigslist near me.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Matt, I'm not finding you in the data base. If you just joined in the last few days it's possible you're not in the database yet. If you PM me your member number I can try to look you up that way too. When you start getting the club magazine, the G&D, the technical advisors are listed it it every month. The G&D is also available on the club website 24/7 for members also.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I joined and paid dues at a little after noon today, No member number yet.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It just showed up. I have marked you as a member so you should now be able to access the member's only forums. If you like you can edit your preferences to display the club logo under your name. You can now access the members only area of the main club website. It requires a separate registration since that site and Chat are not linked. Once you're registered to the main web site you can peruse the club magazine back issues, search for members in your area and more. Welcome aboard!

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the quick attention! Now if I could only get my log in to work on my iphone...

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Matt,
There are enough trucks like yours being modified that it should not be too hard to find some cast off parts in your general area. I'm in Missouri so I won't be able to help much.
You should probably also join the Stovebolt Forums. Those guys love to modify their trucks and you might connect with the right guy to get the stuff you need.
Welcome aboard.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by Matt_in_Murphys
Thanks for the quick attention! Now if I could only get my log in to work on my iphone...
If you're having trouble accessing the main site it's requires a separate registration and log in from the Chatter page. That could be why you're having trouble logging in.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
That is a wonderful family history of the truck. Welcome to the VCCA. You will find a lot of help on the Stovebolt.com too. They are a great bunch over there. They have an area with technical articles including how to install a more modern 235 in an older truck like yours.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.