Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I am helping a friend rewire his '30 coach. As we were carefully removing the old wiring to use as a template we found a small electrical component in the electrical circuit to the gas tank. It is attached to the firewall between the gauge and the tank. '30 was the first year of the electric gas gauge for Chevrolet. I believe it was a running change of the not so reliable bi-metallic electric heat gauge adopted in '29.

Has anyone with that year of car seen a similar component? It is quite old, possibly an original fix to correct an inaccurate gauge?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I am a bit confused. If the component is in the gas gauge circuit how might it effect the heat gauge?

It might be a resister to compensate for a miss-match in the resistance of the float sending unit?

Never seen anything like it on any of my older Chevys.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
No this is a '30 with the capillary heat sensor, my comment was that they had discontinued the electric heat gauge from 1929 and morphed it into the electric gas gauge of 1930. Similar technology, variable resistance used to move an indicating gauge.

Some form of a compensating resistor was my thought too. I tried to get a better look at it to see if it was adjustable with a screw driver like a resistor pot from the '50s but it does not look like it. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen something like it on their cars?

Maybe I can get a picture of it next time I am over there helping him.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.