Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488182 12/30/23 02:12 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recently acquired a 1932 5-window coupe. It was a standard, but of course the hood doors are chrome! It was restored in the 60's and the lacquer paint is peeling off in places and heavily cracked in others. It has a cream pin stripe much like on a 31, but added on the molding above the rear fender across the sill molding and the bottom of the hood.

The paint color combination codes is 92. Serge Blue and Black. My car was built in the spring of 32. I have the Duco spec sheet and a 3 window drawing from The Filling Station. The description refers to a Cream Medium and a St Germain pinstripe. outer and inner. From the drawing it appears the moulding from the hood below the window across and down the curved edge of the trunk is supposed to have a 1/16 St. Germain red strip down the middle and a 1/32 Cream Medium stripe in the groove above and below the molding. The upper body moldings appear to have a 1/32 Cream Medium stripe again in the groove on both sides without the St. Germain red.

I found an older thread where a gentleman said his was a spring car and original paint only had a single stripe. I have not been able to find a triple stripe in any photos of original or restored cars. Did Chevrolet ever produce the triple stripe in the drawing and description or do you think someone decided the labor was too much and just reverted to the 1931 striping procedure?

Todd Maxwell

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/3B7kxs2btML2s7cW6[/img]

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I am going to guess that when it was restored they decided the original pin stripping was more than they wanted to attempt. My car is the same paint code and I sent a copy of the drawings for striping to a shop for a quote and they declined the job due to it's difficulty. My car is a January build but there were no remains of original striping .

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The 1932 Deluxe models did have two outside stripes and a center stripe. A paint diagram can be purchased from the Filling Station with details. The outside stripes were about 1/2 way from the center to the groove.

Some 1932 cars had stripes on the fenders. I don't know if there ever was a consensus among the "experts" that determined the time period and/or factories that had them. Many years ago there were NOS fenders that had the stripes and others that didn't.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So, a car could be "correct" either way it seems. The drawing does show the stripe on the fender as well. I was hoping that somebody might have a photo of a car with the triple stripe.

Another question. The paint diagram says the background of the gages would be body color. Blue in my case. My car has the silver patterned decal. It appears original, but could have been applied in the 60s restoration. Any clue what is correct on the dash?

Todd

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I may be incorrect but I believe the open cars had painted background and the closed cars the patterned.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The "standard" cars had the painted gauge background. The Deluxe had the decal. The interior moldings on the standard were simple and straight. The Deluxe had a shallow "V" shape. The sewing on the Deluxe door panels matched the shape of the moldings. The Fisher Body plate Interior number would indicate the seat fabric and whether standard or Deluxe.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Chipper #488227 12/31/23 03:27 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mine was a standard. The interior door trim below the window is straight. The instrument background just looks worn as if it has always been there.

My trim tag says 16 for upholstery (Grey Mohair?) and 92 for paint (Black and Serge Blue). I would guess my upholstery was replaced in the 60s restoration.

I found a video of a green 4 door deluxe that is said to be original. It has the 3 stripe pinstripe. It has the gold stripe on the fenders. Was this a deluxe feature? The inset at the top of it's dash has silver screws and looks almost like it is woodgrain. Again, deluxe. I presume the standard was black like the rest of the dash. The link below is my interior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/euiizvEkxYCst5F98

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Tried to access your link for the interior. "site can't be reached". Wondering if spelling error?
I have a "32 deluxe coupe. would really like to see photos.

1932 Chev 5 Window Coupe
Chipper #488619 01/11/24 11:27 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Where would I find the Fisher Body interior plate number showing standard vs deluxe?

Jack D.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Fisher Body Tags were installed on the cowl / firewall, engine side then on drivers side.

CAN GET BODY INFO HERE: https://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/corvette/1929to33chev.html

Attached Images
IMG_0729.JPG

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Great info, now tell me where the AOS frame numbers were on a 33 Master.

Jon T.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.