Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,
does anyone have info on upgrading to a dual pot MC for a 1937 MD using the stock brake/clutch pedals? Ive found some "kits" online, but theyre for 1940 and up.

Thank you!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I know there have been kits made for the 38 Master so I will describe that. They took the MC and removed the internals. Then a fabricated bracket ws attached to the mc and the mc was mounted as before. The bracket was used to support a dual master directly behind the old one. A longer pushrod was fabricated to reach through the original mc to the new dual one. I think there was someone in Buffalo that made these kits.

As I recall the thread in the old mc that secured the outlet line fixture was used as an attachment point to the bracket. Also the mc style used was the one that had a plate on top. The four mounting were also used to secure the plate.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I just ran across a listing from Chevs of the 40s for a kit to use a dual master cylinder in the 37 to 39 years. They claim it uses the original pedal setups. I think the part is called the EC-400. This is a manual brake setup, not boosted. Some hotrod shops are selling it too.

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. I would be very wary of getting a part that might not fit from Chev's of the 40s. I purchased a stock master deluxe starter for a friends sedan from them. They sent one for a GMC that looked the same but wouldn't fit. It looked similar so I thought it was an honest mistake. When I informed them they had accidentally sent the wrong part, I was told I should make it fit. I had to pay postage both ways and a restocking fee. .
. If you get something from Rock Auto or Summit, ask for picture, dimensions and return policy since you are trying to retrofit. I have several 1937 Chevys with stock hydraulic brakes and keep them in good condition. I've never had a problem. This includes trailering a 37 Burb from Grand Rapids, Mich to California over Loveland pass in Colorado. .
. I have a 37 Chevy with a Flxible body that only came with air over hydraulic brakes. It had a dual bore size master cylinder. I replaced it with a two line cylinder as you are trying to do. I went to the parts store and looked at all the cylinders till I found one with similar mounting.
Flxible is different than Martin-Parry or Fisher bodied Master cylinders.
. Lou .

Attached Images
Master Cyl .jpg
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Great point. Ive ordered twice form Chevs of the 40's and both times Ive had issues.. Not to mention when I call, it seems as if tsome of he people answering the phones really dislike their jobs. As you suggest, Im going to use the one I have and make sure it is in top shape.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Well I have been disappointed in the customer interface at Chevs of the 40s for some time now. I feel bad admitting this but it is true. Sometimes the customer service borders on rudeness. Sometimes there are obvious mistakes in their information which they absolutely refuse to look at or discuss. This creates a real problem when the item is unuseable and shipping is very expensive.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.