Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486905 11/12/23 09:04 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My truck came to me already apart. How does the cab mount to the frame? I may be missing some parts because it does not appear intuitively obvious to me how the cab mounts to the frame.

Thanks,
John

John & Peggy Milliman
Editors/Publishers, Stovebolt.com

1927 Chevrolet Capitol 1-Ton
1949 Chevrolet 3804 1-Ton pickup
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. Hi John, . I recall that the frame has holes on top of each rail. The furring strip is bolted thru these. The cab is mounted on the front and bed on the rear. I will go to the trucks today and try to take some photos to refresh my memory. There was a lot of wood framing with sheet metal tacked to it.
. Lou . .

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
John,
At the front of the cab there are angle like brackets that screw to the inside edges of the sill and lay over the top of the sill with a bolt through the bracket, wood, and then through the frame. The bolts are carriage bolts in the example pictures attached. I have my brackets made and used a 7/16in through bolt. I will get you pictures of mine.
At the rear of the cab there are brackets like the ones in the other attached picture. The pair on the far right of the picture are the intact ones that I got from Dean and am using on my truck. They have screw holes to screw them to the cab back lower sill, and to the inside edges of the sill, (last picture) but they also fit into a shallow dado that is the underside of the sill and screw on there also. Then there is a bolt that goes through the bracket and down through the frame.
To my knowledge there should be some kind of about an 1/8in spacer between all four mounting points and the frame. What material the spacer is made up of I am unsure at this point. I have still been researching that. I assume it was some kind of rubber. This keeps the sills from being squished directly on top of the running board skirts which lay on top of the frame and bolt down with stove bolts prior the the cab being mounted.
I can try to get you clearer pictures of my cab

Attached Images
20210513_100850.jpg rear cab mounts.jpg 20210513_102202.jpg
Last edited by David_S; 11/13/23 11:15 PM.
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Part One .
. Hi John, . I forgot to ask who made the cab? Chevrolet sold a flat face cowl that a cab could be built on. (Photo #1). They sold a covered cowl that outside manufacturers could produce a cab for like Hercules in photo#2. Chevy sold a Cab and Chassis in photo #3 to which you could add a utility body. They offered a Stake and Panel truck for model X and LM only. (I have photos but not the subject of this reply) Look closely at the cowl and you will see how a Hercules cab differs from a Chevrolet cab. .
. My 26 - 28 trucks are buried deeper than I remembered so my photos are limited. If your cab was put on a flat faced cowl photos #4 & #5 show how the cowl is attached to a 28 LP. I could not access under to photo body mounts.
I'll continue in part two as this web site limits the number of photos .
Lou .

Attached Images
1927 Ton Chassis-02.jpg 039 Herc Cab.jpg 1927 Cab-03.jpg 2420 left side .jpg 2421 LF mounts .jpg
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Part Two: .
. If you have a Chevrolet cab on your LM the following photos might better depict the body mounts. On my LM with Chevy body, I used metal body mounts where the wood furring should go but it should be easier to see the bolts. Sixth photo of right "A" pillar you can see two body mounts and a bent "L" bracket from the metal furring to the "A" pillar. Seventh photo of Left "A" pillar with matching bent "L" bracket. Eighth photo is left frame where mounting bolts can be seen. Ninth photo is a little farther back. Last photo there is a hole above where the black extension should attach. I can't drill the hole in the extension till I remove the body. . I hope this is some assistance. . Good luck, Lou
. .

Attached Images
2427 right A .jpg 2428 Left A .jpg 2431 frame Left .jpg 2432 Frame Left .jpg 2429 frame LR .jpg
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
To the best of my knowledge, and what I have witnessed on original trucks the factory Chevy cab mounting only took place in 4 places and the following pictures depict that on my truck restoration and show better detail of the pictures I posted earlier of other trucks I looked at and the mounts for the rear that I got from Dean (rustoholic)
As previously mentioned the only thing I am unsure of is I believe there is suppose to be an 1/8" of some kind of material between the 4 mounting points and the frame. I have an old dimensional drawing that depicts that 1/8" space. I believe the reason for the gap is so the running board splash aprons can bolt to holes that are under the sill board with stove bolts and the wood sill is not digging into those bolts as well as add cushion to the cab and so there is not direct contact between the wood sill and it's attaching sheet metal and the sheet metal of the splash apron.

Adding the drawing I was referencing. Looking at the cab back it shows the 1/8in measurement. Also note the 4 mounting holes dimensioned. These holes line up perfectly with the wood and brackets on the cab framework when installed on the frame.

Attached Images
ds front cab mount.jpg ds a pillar mount.jpg ds rear cab mount 2.jpg ds rear cab mount.jpg ds side front and a pillar.jpg cab drawing.jpg
Last edited by David_S; 11/17/23 08:37 PM.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks All -- very helpful. I have the Chevrolet cab, BTW. I'm heading over to the shop in a bit and can see what you are trying to tell me.

John & Peggy Milliman
Editors/Publishers, Stovebolt.com

1927 Chevrolet Capitol 1-Ton
1949 Chevrolet 3804 1-Ton pickup

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.