Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486175 10/13/23 03:32 PM
Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am replacing the front propeller shaft bushing and oil seal in a 54 chevy torque tube. I would like to learn how deep the new Oakie Bushing should be inserted into the torque tube as measured from the front of the tube to the forward face of the bushing. I understand the original bearing and seal can be pushed back into the torque tube without need to remove them. If I were to remove the old parts, it seems that it would be necessary to disassemble the differential and remove the pinion & shaft. Is it possible to remove the differential case 5.510 from the carrier 5.504 without disturbing the settings on the adjusting nuts 5.537? The wear patterns on the ring and pinion are now perfectly centered on their respective gears, and I would be hesitant to disturb what appears to be working well. In addition, I don't seem to have a problem with the pinion shaft bearings 5.447 & 5.84 at the back end of the carrier, but I would like to know how frequently issues with these bearings arise. If I elect to remove the old front propeller shaft bearing, Would it behoove me to replace the bearings while the axle assembly is on my work bench?

I would appreciate some advice from you fellows that have been there.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Midi #486196 10/14/23 12:45 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Front bushing should be removed. The rear bushing can remain.

Midi #486722 11/02/23 10:37 PM
Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK Dryler, I figured it out. I had a hell of a time extracting the old bearing; the Oakie puller was useless. I finally welded a pipe nipple to the face of the bushing and used a big nut to the other end of the pipe. Using a long bolt, I was able to ease the old bearing out. The replacement Oakie bushing arrived with a good diagram and well written instructions. The new one went in with a block of wood and a moderate amount of effort. Thanks for your reply.

Midi #489836 02/22/24 03:16 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
You can rent a tool to pull that bushing I bought one years back when they were cheap,when you pull it that will give you an idea of the depth of the bearing.

drtyler #489839 02/22/24 05:22 PM
Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I bought one of those extractors you are referring to however, it was not strong enough to pull the bushing. I eventually welded a pipe nipple to the rim of the old bushing that was visible just peeking out of the torque tube. I then welded a big nut to the end of the nipple and used a bolt to extract the stubborn bugger. I have since learned the correct inserted depth of the new Oakie bushing is flush with the end of the torque tube. Everything is reassembled now, and so far no leaking of oil back to the differential. Let's hope that is one more job in the rearview mirror.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.