Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486700 11/01/23 10:19 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Last month I purchased a 36 2dr sedan. It has about an 80% restoration, looks nice but could use some TLC. I have to work on the brakes and I tried to check the brake fluid level but I can't get to the cap. The MS is on a slight angle, not straight up towards the sight hole, so I can't get a wrench or pliers or anything else on it to take it off. There is about a 4" wide floor panel next to the sight hole that I could probably use, but I can't get the carpet out of the way. The gas pedal is keeping the carpet in place. How do I get the gas pedal off so I can get to all the screws in the panel? I have the repair manual, but it doesn't mention the gas pedal.
My second question is how to adjust the brakes. I'm used to 50s & 60s Chevy brake systems, but the 36 has 2 star wheels for adjustment. Do you adjust both or just one? Is there a trick that I need to know?
Thanks, Ken

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Ken. The acc pedal is secured to the operating levers with cotter pins. It also has 2 bolts on the hinge at the bottom but these need help to remove.Adjusting the Huck brakes on the front requires removing the wheel and accessing each side of the brake piston thru a hole in the drum.The manual will give the procedure common to the Huck brakes used for many years. I imagine the adjusting screw inside the drum and figure out which way to turn the starwheel to make the threaded adjuster extend outwards. The rear shoes must be accessed via the slots in the rear of the drums located at the top. Also 2 starwheels at each end of the piston to adjust.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
This my help

Attached Images
Huck-Adjustment-Guide.jpg

1936 GMC T-14 low cab. TA for 1935-37 GMC, Director of the Gulf Coast Region
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks gentlemen, that helps a lot.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.