Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello everyone! I’m looking to add a Guide B-31 back up light to my ‘39 Chevy truck. According to the ‘39 accessory guide, the back up light was designed to mount at the base of the rear license plate bracket. I am hoping our experts here might be able to let me know exactly where the back up light mounts (a photo from someone’s vehicle would be fantastic!) and which bracket I should use to mount it.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Mike

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have four different books for 1939 and non of them list a back-up lamp for a 1939 truck.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, Chev Nut! As I mentioned, the ‘39 accessory catalog lists them as a safety option. While these factory accessories seem to be geared towards cars, I assume they could have also been purchased for use on trucks as well. Here’s a link to the catalog- https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1939-Chevrolet-Accessories.pdf.

I’m just curious if anyone has installed one on their ‘39 or ‘40 truck and where they mounted it so it will not impede use of the tailgate.

Thank you!

Mike

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by Mike_Winters
Hello everyone! I’m looking to add a Guide B-31 back up light to my ‘39 Chevy truck. According to the ‘39 accessory guide, the back up light was designed to mount at the base of the rear license plate bracket.

Mike
The link you posted says it's "Designed to fit at the base of the left-hand tail lamp". It doesn't say anything about the license plate bracket.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Tiny- You are correct. Thank you for pointing out my error. My mistake. After reading the description in the catalog, I was envisioning where it might be mounted and was thinking underneath the taillight at the bottom of the license plate bracket would make sense.

My errors and semantics aside, I guess I’m just looking for replies from anyone who has mounted one on a ‘39 or ‘40 truck and where they mounted it.

Take care!

Mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Mike,
I also have a '39 pickup. I don't see any opportunity for mounting your light to the tail light / license bracket. My truck has been apart for several years so I am going from memory here. You might be able to make a simple bracket to mount the lamp at the outboard bumper bolt. I don't know how this would work in regard to tailgate operation or interference with tail lamp / license view.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply! I think that may work. I’ll have to take some measurements and see what I can fashion for a bracket. Take care and thanks again!

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.