Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485772 09/27/23 12:27 PM
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am at a point that I need to remove the doors on my 31 sedan to strip the old paint and get ready for new paint. I was able to remove the rear doors by removing the hinge screws. The front doors are more of a problem since the screws on the upper hinge have been dimpled (or staked) to keep them from backing out. I would like to remove the hinge pins, but from what I've read in previous posts, I think the bottom of the hinge pin has a dimple in the middle to keep it from riding up and out of the hinge.
Does anyone have a recommendation on removing the hinge pin, short of drilling it out?

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
No. How about drilling the head of the henge screws off, then once you have the door off, remove what is left of the screws with vice grips.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I think I saw a hinge pin remover tool in the Chevrolet Service News. Looked a little like a c clamp and pushed it up from the bottom. Right or wrong I have been using a brass drift to carefully remove the pins. Be careful not to force anything since the hinges can break. Of course if they are rusty you will need penetrating oil and heat to get them moving.

Good luck

ps You could also drill out the punch marks on the hinge screws or remove the dimple if your pins have one.

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 09/27/23 07:01 PM.
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks. I opted for drilling out the punch marks on the hinge screws. That worked well. Now just need to find some replacement screws.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.