Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pitcrew Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I’ve just finished off restoring my 38 Master Deluxe ready for the road. After refilling with antifreeze and running up to temperature I found water dripping down from the bell housing. After removing the bottom inspection cover, it looks to be coming from behind the flywheel and suspect the freeze plug has a corrosion hole in it and leaking out. Can I replace this without removing the engine? What is required? Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Yes, remove the starter,. transmission, flywheel, and bellhousing to access the plug. Don't forget to support the rear of the engine

Dick
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
you will need to remove the engine or gearbox/bellhousing as that plug is partly covered by the bell housing.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
1 member likes this: Pitcrew
Pitcrew Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for your reply. I’ve decided to do it like you described. I’ve removed the starter motor, Removed the starter bar on top of bell housing and released the drive shaft cover at the back of gearbox. How do I take the drive shaft away from the gearbox? Do I need to remove the parking brake mechanics?

Pitcrew Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Having removed the UJ cover at the back of the gearbox, do I just slacken off the ring nut on the shaft and slide the cover backwards away from the joint? Then just split the joint and allow drive shaft to move down?

Attached Images
IMG_1429.jpeg
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Yes, split the "U" joint so you can remove the tranny. Repair manual shows how.

Dick
1 member likes this: Pitcrew

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.