Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
One of my spare 1931 3-speed passenger transmissions (all original) did not have an inside oil seal (a thin metal disk) covering the inside of the main input shaft bearing. My other transmissions all have the metal disk inside cover. This metal disk is in addition to the front outside bearing retainer/seal. In looking at the FS replacement front xmission bearing, it is a double sealed bearing. The FS note states that you should remove the inside bearing seal before installation. My questions are: If I install an original (I have spares) inside seal with the original bearing, will that affect ongoing lubrication of the bearing (after initially packing the bearing with grease before installation, or if I do not install the seal, will I have oil leaking out the front?. (This is for one of my spare transmissions, therefore I am just reusing parts laying around the garage. I have one spare transmission for each of my two cars, just in case.) VCCA #18184 Storaker. BTW, thank you all for comments you gave regarding engine noises a few months ago.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello 31Phaeton,
chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com
1929-32 Chevrolet Master Parts Price List
Transmissions page 23
590138 Main drive gear bearing oil DEFLECTOR
I believe that the deflector does not seal but deflects the bulk of oil away from flooding the front bearing retainer/seal. If not installed, I would think that there would be a front shaft leak. My opinion.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
you are correct. wth the original non sealed bearing the deflector would go to the front of the bearing.If a one side only sealed beaing the seal would go to the front so the bearing gets lubed from he gear oil.
If I were installing a two side seal bearing I would remove the seaL on one side and have that side face the gear oil.

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Chef Nut,
I was not aware that sealed bearings (seals on one or both sides), that the seals on the bearings could be removed, until recently. I thought that it was illegal like removing the tag from a pillow. Could you advise folks on how those seals can be safely removed (without bearing damage) and as above, why you would want to. Thanks.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I just use a pointed pick to pry up the lip of the seal. Then I keep pushing it to towards the OD of the seal to lift the seal off of the bearing.

This method does not touch any of the rolling elements or surfaces of the bearing.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Rusty,
Thanks for advising that bearing seals are not impossible to remove and that no damage to bearing happens. How many folks, over the years, who have needed a replacement un-sealed bearing were unable to locate one, but did not realize that the correct sealed bearing could be used by removing the seals. I did not know but now I do. What new discoveries await?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.